Chapter 1

Day 1

Tick Tock

I looked up and shut my eyes, feeling the rain pour down me, each drop hitting me harder than the previous one, until it got too much and looked back down again at my hands. My vision was blurry and I was soaking wet, my clothes hung on to me, my silhouette completely visible under them, but there was no one to see that in the dark alleyway I was standing in.

Tick Tock

I looked up again a second time, but I didn't shut my eyes, instead I looked at the dirt-stained window ten feet above me, tiny, square and shut. The yellow light streaming out of the window confirmed what I already knew.

Tick Tock

He was home.

Tick Tock

And was going to have a visitor.
_________________________
I headed up the creaky stairway, taking one step at a time, careful but fast paced. I threw a quick look on the first floor, and walked down the hallway, which was dim-lit, but the sole lightbulb hanging above my head was enough for me to decipher the room number on the red door, with paint flaking off.

Tick Tock

I knocked on the door twice. I took a deep breath to steady my heart rate as I heard footsteps, indicating his
arrival at the door.

He didn't open it, I hadn't expected him to, and instead shouted out, "Who is it? What do ya want?" I heard his rasping voice.

"It's the mailman, sir." I smiled as I said my lines.

There was a pause for two seconds before he spoke again.
"At this time of the night? Are ya kiddin' me?"

"Sir, due to the heavy rains there have been slight changes in the schedule. Sorry for the inconvenience."
My palm felt the cool metal of the gun stuffed in my coat pocket.

"Leave the stuff at the door and buzz off."

A corner of my mouth turned up.

"But sir I need you to sign this form confirming you have received it."

I heard an audible groan on the other side of the door, before the knob turned.

He really was stupid.

I saw his filthy face staring at me in disgust, when really I should have been the one to make that face. Clad in a tank top stained with beer, with his belly peeking out from under, and boxers, he looked me up and down.
"Where's the parcel?" He looked at me suspiciously.

I felt anger bubble inside me but I took another deep breath. I had to do this.

"Here." I smiled and held my right hand out in front of him.

His eyes widened with fright when he saw the revolver in my hand. I aimed at his sweaty forehead, behind which lay his stupid, stupid brain, and clicked off the safety.

The sound of it clicking was enough to make him shiver slightly.

When he spoke again this time it wasn't his raspy voice. He sounded like a squeaky mouse.

"Please, don't." He could barely whisper before I fired.

I literally saw the light of his eyes disappear and smiled again, this time satisfied that I had done what I needed to do.

The filthy pig dropped to the floor, and blood quickly oozed out of the wound on his head, and the door was stained with grey matter and splotches of blood. I felt myself crinkling my nose in disgust, partly due to the metallic smell of the blood engulfing me and mainly due to letting the swine live as long as he did. This had to be done. My left hand fished into my other coat pocket and I pulled out what was in it, gently placing it on the bloody floor, right next to where his blown head remained.

Tick Tock

I glanced up at the clock in his room.
It was twelve.

Day 2

One down, five to go.