Chapter Two (2)

Playing With Fire

Chapter Two

---Sokka's POV---

"Sokka!"

A loud voice echoed in my hears, snapping me out of my train of thoughts.

"Huh?" I mumbled. I looked around frantically, trying to understand whose voice was calling me.

"It's the third time I'm asking you! Where is your mind travelling?" Katara asked, looking at me pissed. Everybody around the campfire was staring at me, expecting an answer or an explanation.

"Err...sorry...I didn't hear you" I mumbled embarassed, shrugging my shoulders.

"What is wrong son? You haven't even touched your food. And it's meat. You love meat" my dad pointed out and gestured at my full plate. The food was untouched and cold. I hadn't noticed I hadn't eaten at all.

"Sokka doesn't gobbles up his meat! That's a new!" Toph friendly punched my shoulder and laughed out loud. Haru and his friends laughed at her joke and I gave them a small, embarassed smile.

"Aang, is my meat bad? There's no way Sokka doesn't eat it!" Katara lifted a piece of cooked meat above Aang's nose and shaked it close to his face.

"Eww, Katara! I hate meat! I'm  a vegeterian, remember? Take this away from my face!!" Aang closed his nose with his fingers and a disgusted look appeared  on his face.

"Whoops! Sorry Aang, I forgot" my sister giggled, apologising to the avatar with slightly pink cheeks.

"Come on Twinkle Toes, don't be such a coward! A little piece of meat never hurt anyone!" Toph teased him and everybody laughed, except for me and ... Zuko.

I looked at him and admired him, his symmetrical face (except for his scar, which actually made him more attractive) , his body, the way he was sitting and the way his black hair fell on his eyes playfully.

Suddenly, Zuko raised his head and looked at me, his golden eyes staring into mine and for the first time, a small smile appeared on his face. A warm smile. A warm smile only for me.

I felt my cheeks burning, but I guess that's just because I was sitting so close to the fire.

"I'm really tired kids. I think I'm going to sleep" my dad yawned and got up "You should get some rest too. Today's gonna be a long day"

Haru and the others followed him and Toph after saying goodnight to all of us, ran after them. She really gets along with those earthbenders. Katara took the dishes to wash them and Aang willingly ran after her, holding the rest of the dirty dishes. Suki came towards me and sat down, leaving only a little space between us.

"Sokka... are you alright?" she asked me, leaning closer to my body. I could feel her arm wrapped around mine and her breath on my neck.

"I'm ... just tired" I moved slightly away from her and nervously looked at where Zuko was sitting. His seat was empty. The whole room smelled like his absense.

"I'm so glad we're together Sokka!" she smiled widely and moved her body, forcing herslef to sit on the top of me.

"S-Suki! What if anyone sees!?" I asked nervously. It felt so uncomfortable and awkward that she was so close to me. Why do I feel this way? I should love her and be happy, not feel uncomfortable! Suki and I ... we've done more than kisses and holding hands but now it is just emotionless and weird.