Chapter 3

Speranza wasn't sure what was going on. Gobber brought her back to his house while Stoick took care of her father. Hiccup tagged along, looking a bit shell-shocked. When he had seen her father pick up the chain and drape her over the log, he'd run off to get his Dad. Gobber guided her into the living room and she instinctively went into a corner and curled up, looking out warily. He sighed and sat down on a bench, switching out his hook for a bludgeon in case her father came for her. He didn't think it would happen, but he was being cautious. Hiccup sat down not far from her and began talking to her.

"Gonna be a nice day," he said. She didn't reply, just watched him fearfully. "You're safe now, Speranza. Don't worry." A knock sounded and Gobber's shoulders tensed up. He got up and held his bludgeon back slightly to bonk whoever it was on the head of they were a threat. He opened the door and Gothi was standing there. He stepped back and let her in. The elder approached Speranza and looked at her. The young girl trembled.

Gothi didn't look threatening so she relaxed somewhat. She let her come closer to look her over. She touched her back and watched angrily as the young girl tried not to cry out, whimpering slightly instead. Angry voices could be heard outside and she put her hands tightly over her ears, shaking. Gothi tapped on Gobber's shoulder and wrote some scribbles in the dirt.

Gobber's eyebrows furrowed. "Right I'll tell Stoick at once," the elder nodded and beckoned Hiccup over. Speranza shrank back as he approached. Gothi put a gentle, reassuring hand on her shoulder. Hesitantly, she uncurled herself from the knot she was in.

"Speranza, you hungry?" Gobber asked. She gave a small nod. He rummaged around and came up with some fish and a half a bun. He gave them to her and her eyes widened. She hadn't seen that much food before and been allowed to eat it all. She pointed at it.

"Is that all for me?" she whispered. Gobber nodded. "Thank you."

"You'll get as much food as you can eat. You don't have to worry about anything anymore," he said. "I'll keep you safe, Speranza. I promise."