Chapter 7

Gobber found her twenty minutes later and sat down not far from her, not shying away from her, but not reaching out to her. "C'mere if you want," he murmured. She sniffed and crawled into his arms. He held her and rubbed her shoulders soothingly. "Easy, it's okay now. You're not in any danger from them."

Stoick knocked on the door then came in. She hunched over and tried to make herself smaller. She was already small for her age, about a third the weight she should have been and half the height. "Where is she?" he asked quietly.

"She's right here, just calming down," Gobber replied just as hushed. "Crawled into my arms when I told her she could if she wanted. I think all she wants is some love."

Stoick made no sound, so Speranza began to get curious. She peeked out and saw him looking off into the distance thoughtfully. He had a leaf in the fur on his back and made him look kinda funny.

"Hehe," she giggled a little. Gobber looked down at her and she shrank in on herself again. "H-he has a leaf on his back."

They both checked and a half-dead leaf fluttered to the ground. Trying not to scare her, they chuckled lightly. "You feeling okay?" Gobber asked her.

"Mhmm," she said very quietly.

"What scared you?"

"One of them showed his muscles and made a fist." A spark of understanding came to Stoick's eyes.

"Who was it?"

"Hiccup called him Snotlout, I think," she said softly. It had been the first time anyone had carried on a conversation with her for any extended period of time. Her throat started to hurt a little and she rubbed it after she spoke.

"Throat sore?" Stoick rumbled gently. She nodded silently. "Would you let Gothi look at it?"

"Mhmm," she said. Stoick leaned out the door and sent for Gothi. The elder showed up not long after, looking cross.

"Sorry for bothering you, Gothi," he said. "Speranza's throat is bothering her. Would you mind taking a look at it?" Speranza noticed that the chief highly respected the elder. It made her almost fear her, but the memory of her gentleness earlier calmed her.

Gothi nodded and gestured for Speranza to come sit by her. The young Viking did so and opened her mouth at another motion. Again, the elder's eyes grew dark with anger. She turned and began scribbling on the ground.

"It looks like she swallowed hot iron her whole life," Gobber translated. "I'll make medicine and send it when it's ready. She'll need to take it twice a day, once in the morning and then again at dinnertime. It should soothe the soreness and heal her throat."

"Thank you, Gothi," Stoick said, obviously trying to keep his voice low so he didn't frighten Speranza into the corner again. The elder nodded and made a crude gesture, showing her thoughts for the young girl's father. He snickered. "Aye, it's true."

"What did she say, Stoick?" Gobber asked. the chief leaned in and whispered into his friend's ear. "Opfffft-haha! Oye, that's a goody. I'll make sure to keep that one for a rainy day. Hehe." After the medicine was brought, Speranza took a spoonful and closed her eyes as it immediately soothed her red, burning, raw throat. There was some honey in it that made it easy to take.

"Where will I be sleeping?" she asked, a little louder than normal. Gobber smiled as she spoke at an average level.

"I'll find you a place, don't worry. You don't have to sleep in a corner any more. I'll have a bed made for you," he said to her. The news sank in slowly for Speranza.

"You mean, I can stay?" she whispered in excitement. The blacksmith nodded and returned the hug the young Viking gave him after a moment of surprise. He smiled happily. This promised to be a good arrangement.