Chapter Forty-three

Start from the beginning

"But—"

"Do you even know how to speak to your superior?" Bohai raised a brow at the three of them. They all were so flustered that I found it slightly amusing. I could also see that Bohai was enjoying this. It was a dark day for him, but I suppose he was trying to find something to entertain himself with. The three poor boys were his victims for the day, unfortunately."This must be your first campaign, right? First time leaving home and going off to fight? I understand, I completely do, but do you know exactly who you were gawking at?"

The boys were slowly turning red with embarrassment. I, meanwhile, was confused.

Bohai tapped his foot impatiently before snapping at them. "Well, are you going to answer?"

"Y-Yes sir!" they said in unison. They all shifted in their feet uncomfortably. One of them was constantly staring at me, a fact that Bohai quickly caught onto. The light of amusement in his eyes grew brighter.

"So," Bohai drawled, "who was it that you were hollering at? You thought she was a palace whore?"

"Commander, I am so—"

He raised a hand, cutting off his words. "Do you know what the emperor would do to you if he heard what you were saying? Especially with the mood he's in, His Majesty—" His words came off as slightly mocking at that title, but the boys didn't know that. "—would punish you severely."

"We are so sorry," another said. He looked the most nervous out of all of them. There was no color on his face and I could see that his legs were shaking. He swallowed. "We won't make that mistake again. Please, Commander, forgive us."

Bohai seemed to ponder on that for a moment before he shook his head. "Thera isn't someone you should waggle your tongues at. I don't appreciate it."

"Commander—"

"She's not a whore."

"Commander—"

"You'll have to apologize to her, not me." Bohai pointed at the boy that kept staring at me. "You, do you like this lady?" He jerked a thumb at me. The boy's eyes grew wide and his face grew flushed. He blinked back.

The other two boys stared at me unashamedly and I realized at that exact moment that they didn't realize who I was. They didn't know that I was the Empress, as shocking as that was. I wasn't dressed too fancifully since I had gotten out of bed not too long ago, and I didn't have any ornaments—save for my silver pins—in my hair, or around my neck or on me. They must've assumed I was a young noblewoman.

The boy cleared his throat. "Ma'am, you are quite possibly the most beautiful woman I've ever laid my eyes on," he said. The other two boys exchanged glances with each other while Bohai raised his eyebrow as if he couldn't believe his words. The boy didn't look ashamed and instead looked at me with determination.

I smiled softly at him and nodded. "Thank you, that's very kind of you."

The boy's ears were red. "Would—"

"Hold that thought," Bohai said. "Are you going to ignore the fact that your Commander is standing in front of you? Do you think I'll take lightly to you ignoring my authority and continuing to woo a woman in front of me? What's stronger to you, your duty to your empire or your desire to bed a woman?"

The three of them flinched back. "Forgive us—"

"Do you realize just what you've done?" Bohai laughed. When his laughter subsided, he looked down at them with his dark eyes. He shook his head and clucked his tongue, as if he couldn't believe them. "An important thing you all should know when you're a soldier, is to know who your superiors are. You won't last long if you don't know who the Emperor's family is, who the Empress is, or who your commanding officers are. I want all three of you in my office. I'm going to watch as you all apologize to Thera. Then, we'll start with your punishment."