Chapter 3

~Arlo's pov~

'Dear whatever this is now,

It's been awhile huh? I've had a lot going on lately. I came out to my parents, they started hating me, I lost all my friends, and I met Coinneach. We exchanged numbers, but I have a bad feeling about where this is all going. Something bad is going to happen. I'm sure of it.

Last night he texted me and I fell asleep, I did message him back later though. He seems nice right now, but I'm not going to get comfortable.

Remember when I wrote about Marcus? How everything was perfect? It's not anymore. I've been raped, beaten, and forced to do things I don't want to ever talk about. Everything is just bad.'

I shut my journal and hid it back in it's hiding place. I really am a girl. I have a journal for Christ's sake.

I finished getting ready for school and headed outside to the bus stop. I got there early in hopes that no one will be at school at 6:45. I pulled my jacket around me tighter as the morning wind blew over me.

The bus pulled up in front of me and I climbed on and placed my 50 cents into the change container.

"Arlo? What are you doing up this early?" The bus driver, Alec, asked me. He was an older man but he knows what I'm going through.

"I just wanted to get to school earlier is all." I told him.

"How are you doing, Arlo?" I faked a smile.

"I'm doing fine, Alec." He frowned at me.

"I know that face Arlo. Just be careful. Don't do anything I wouldn't do. Can you promise me that?" My smile faltered a little before regaining.

"I promise." I whispered to him. He smiled as I took my seat and we left.

~~~~~~~~~~

When I showed up at the school not many kids were there. There's about five kids at the front entrance waiting to be let inside the building. I suck around the back of the school to where the janitors entered the school.

I walked inside the door and entered a big closet. The closet I've come to known very well. I walked out of it and entered an empty hallway. I sighed in relief and headed to the library.

As I was walking I heard footsteps and I quickly hid from whoever was wondering around the hallways. The steps got closer until they started to fade away. I breathed a sigh of relief and started for the library again.

I entered the room that smelled of old books and paper.

"Arlo, you know you're not supposed to be in the building at this hour." The librarian, Mrs. Thompson, said to me. She's married to Alec and has her light brown hair pulled back into a ponytail with her black glasses resting on the bridge of her nose. She isn't old like most librarians, she's only thirty-one.

"I know. I just needed to check out a book." She frowned at me.

"Come have a seat, Arlo." I walked over to her and sat down in a chair that sat across from her. "I know that's not the real reason you're here. I've heard what people have been saying about you." My heart stopped a little, but I didn't let my emotionless face fade. "Don't listen to them. You're a very smart boy Arlo. You're going to do great things someday. Don't give up." She smiled at me.

"Thank you, Mrs. Thompson." I smiled at her.

"Now, go pick out a book and bring it back to me." I stood up and made my way to the John Green section. I looked over the books that lined the shelves. The Fault in Our Stars, Finding Alaska, Paper Towns, Will Grayson Will Grayson. I grabbed Will Grayson Will Grayson. I settled for it and went back to the front desk.

"This one should do." She smiled and took the book from me.

"It's a good book. I think you'll like it." She checked it out for me and handed it to me. I walked over to a table and started reading.

'When I was little, my dad used to tell me, "Will, you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose." This seems like a reasonably astute observation to me when I was eight, but it turns out to be incorrect on a few levels. To begin with, you cannot possibly pick your friends, or else I never would have ended up with Tiny Cooper.'

I began to get lost in Will Grayson's life when the library door opened. I looked up and saw the school quarterback, Max, walk in. Fear took over as I quickly hid myself. I could hear him and Mrs. Thompson talking.

"Yes, they're that way." I peeked from under the table and saw him walking away from me and in the other direction. Mrs. Thompson looked at me and motioned me to leave. I quickly made my way over to the door and slipped out. I breathed a breath of relief when he didn't see me.

I headed towards my locker to put my bag away and grab my books. I reached my locker, locker 374, and mentally said the combination as I put it in.

'14-26-36'

It popped open and a note fell out. I looked around looking for someone before bending down and pick it up.

'I can tell that you're struggling. It's okay, it get's better. Expect more inspirational notes.

~It's a secret.'

I stared at the note for a few minutes wondering who would go out of their way to make me a note.

"Hey fag." I jumped and spun around to see Max walking to me.

I froze where I was am almost dropped the note.

"What do you have here?" He reached out trying to it away from me. I moved it away from him. "Give it to me." He said glaring at me.

"No." I suddenly felt confident.

"No?"

"That's right, no." I walked away from him and left him standing there, dumbfounded.

'It's going to get better.'

-----------------------
Lmao, I updated.

Sorry for the wait.

~Nat