Chapter 2- The Second Chapter

It was the next morning at breakfast. The girl, (Or is it woman? She's an adult, but 'girl' makes her sound younger.. or how abo-- oops, sorry,) walked to the buffet the hotel cooks had prepared and grabbed a plate. Once she had gotten her breakfast and taken a seat at a table, she wondered more about the, 'Octonauts,' that that octopus had spoken of.

'If 'oct' means 'eight,' then why is there only seven of them? Unless it's because of a different reason, but then what was the buisiness they were talking about?' These questions and more came to her mind whenever she thought about those two customers, which she did quite often. For cryin' out loud, one was an octopus! She is still amazed that he can breathe, let alone walk and talk on land. Once she had finished her meal, and was just about to leave the cafeteria when she accidently bumped into a customer, causing food to go everywhere.

"Oh my goodness. Sorry!" When she bent over to pick some of it up, they bumped their heads. 'Ouch,' she rubbed her head.

"Oops, sorry. I'm so clumsy."

"No, that's alright." She replied standing straight up again. "I wasn't loooking where I was going. Hey, you're that otter!" He looked puzzled.

"Um╈ I suppose?" She giggled,

"Sorry, that was rude. I mean that you were traveling with the octopus."

"That's alright, I don't mind." He began, "Heh, I should probably pick this up."

"I'll help." Once they had picked up all the food, and the otter got a new plate, he walked over to a table to eat. She almost left the cafeteria herself when she noticed that this was a good time to ask those questions she had previously thought of. A little hesitantly, the dashund walked to his table. "Um.. Excuse me. Sir?" He looked up from his meal.

"Yes? What can I do for you?"

"Well, I was hoping that maybe.. Can I ask you some questions?" She was nervous. Employees weren't supposed to be nosey. In fact, her parents have also taught her to keep her buisiness to herself, and others' to them.

"Sure. Sit down, i'll try to answer them the best that I can." He looked as though he didn't really know what to do.

"I was just wondering. If your organization is called, 'The Octonauts,' then why are there only seven of you?" She saw him choke a little, obviously trying not to laugh. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing. You see, our crew isn't exactly 'complete' yet. We still need one more member. Haven't you seen our posters? They've been up for at least two weeks."

"Nope." They both laughed. How could she have missed posters that've been there for two weeks now? "So, how do you pick crew members?"

"Well. There are different positions that need filled. The professor and I look for those who might fit one of the positions." She thought about this.

"Like a scout?"

"Um.. I suppose so. I never really thought of it that way before."

"Hm.." The eployee took in all of this. They had seven members, needed one still. Each was assigned to a position suited for them. "What's the last position?"

"We need an official photographer. Although it would be nice if they were also experienced in computer science and were good with technology." No way.. She was a photographer! 'I took computer programing lessons in college too!' She thought to herself.

"Why? Do you know anyone that fits the position?"

"Actually yes. Here," She wrote her address on a napkin and handed it to him. "Tonight my parents are hosting a party for some of the more 'popular' buisiness owners. You and the professor can come, then I can tell you more about the person for the position." He took the napkin with a confused expression.

"Er, why not talk now?"

"Because I think the professor needs you, and I have work to do." Then she smiled and left.

-SHELLINGTON'S POV-

He watched the woman walk away untill he noticed Inkling indeed had needed him. He was waving to the scientist with three of his arms. He got up and went to see what he needed. "What is it Professor?"

"My boy, what were you doing with that employee?"

"Well sir," He started. "She knows someone for the last job opening."

"Excellent! Who?" Shellington showed him the napkin.

"I don't know. She said she'd tell us at her parent's party." Inkling thought for a moment, but eventually agreed that he would go. He said that 'he hadn't been to one of them for a while', and that it would 'do him good'. The two returned to their room. They had a party to get ready for..