Chapter Six

In her room, Audrey lay in her bed, fighting off a nap. She hadn't realized how tired she was during the drive, but laying face-first in the thick comforter, exhaustion nearly overcame her. As she lay there, taking long, deep breaths, she played through the conversation she'd had with her director about this trip nearly a month before.

"Look, Oddish, it's perfect," he'd said, pointing at his computer screen. "It's secluded. It's beautiful. There's enough to do so that you won't be bored, but nowhere near a major city. If you take a week, you'll be back in plenty of time for auditions for Oklahoma."

Audrey recoiled. "OKLAHOMA? You prick. What do we really have going up next?"

"Burlesque Oklahoma?"

"I will strangle you with a pair of nylons, put runs in them, and then have you buried wearing them," she said, smiling darkly. 

"Eugh," he said, putting a hand to his chest and laughing. "You dark, horrible little goblin. But seriously. Take a break. Catch your breath. The theater will be here when you get back."

Audrey lifted an eyebrow at him, crossing her arms.

"I promise I won't mount canons to the wall and set the place on fire, okay? Tempted though I may be." 

"It's not that I don't want to go do... whatever it is you're trying to get me to go do. It's just," she paused looking down at her small hands and chewed to the quick fingernails. "I've never really been on a vacation. I'm not so sure I'd know what to do with myself."

"That's my point, Odd. Go take a break. Take care of yourself. Figure out what it is you do outside of all this," he said, gesturing around his office in the catwalk of the theater. 

From there, Audrey could see a few rows of the house and most of the stage. She'd looked down at the scuffed black flooring, in need of a coat of paint, the thick purple curtains, the way having all but a few lights off made the whole scene a bit surreal in its vacancy. It was hers. A place she had dominion. She'd worked hard to be hired by a theater, done hundreds of shows in Vegas before anyone would even look at her for the position. But here she was, stage managing for a small theater just off the strip and she loved it. She really did. 

But Bryan was right. She hadn't been on so much as a single date since she'd moved to Vegas. She'd been so busy carving out a place for herself that she'd hardly noticed when she'd finally made it. Maybe a vacation was just what she needed. And god knew she had the vacation time. 

"Look," Bryan continued. "I'll book it for you. Just promise me you'll get out of here and take a breather, yeah? We can make it without you for a week." 

Audrey rolled over in her bed, looking out the lodge window, hauling half the plaid comforter up over her. Bryan had picked a hell of a week for her to be here, but the view was beautiful.

This might be a nice week for her after all, even if all she did was lay in bed. She rolled over, pulling a comic book out of her duffel. Propped up on her elbows and encased in blankets with Hellboy at her fingertips; it could definitely be worse.

Besides, if she went downstairs for dinner she might get to see Kenna again. Horny straight guys or no, this might be a matchmaking event for her after all. 

............................................

Zach found the lobby quiet and empty before dinner. He checked the time on his phone. A little early, true.

He had been hoping to find Emma and apologize for earlier. Whatever the issue had been he definitely didn't want her to worry all week and he'd certainly feel better once he got to say something.