Carnivals and surprises

Chapter 5

‘You bastard,’ I thought and blushed hard.

“Well? Is anyone going to say anything?” Cathy asked, getting impatient by the second.

“Nothing happened, Catherine. I just fell off the couch and my towel came off accidentally. Your friend, Andrea, didn’t do anything perverted so don’t worry.” Logan replied to her since I probably won’t end up saying anything. The problem was that he was still smirking at me. Luckily, for me, he covered his thing again. ‘THANK YOU LORD.’ I thought.

Ding Dong…Ding Dong…

“Well that’s probably the pizza guy. Logan, your pants are dry now. You can get it from the basket. Andrea, go wait in my room and prepare some DVDs for us to watch.” After Cathy left, it was just Logan and I again.

“Well, that was interesting. Did you enjoy it, Andrea?” Logan asked. At first, I couldn’t understand what he meant by ‘enjoy it’, but after a few seconds I finally realized what he was talking about.

“No, I didn’t.” I said, glaring at him, trying not to sound nervous. He just laughed and left the room.

“I’ll see you on Monday.” He shouted out. ‘Monday? What was happening on Monday?’ I thought. I couldn’t seem to figure out what it was so I shrugged it off and went to Cathy’s room. Once I reached her room, I looked through her DVDs and chose The Pirates of the Caribbean. Knowing Cathy, she would probably fall asleep before the movie ends.

When Cathy entered the room, the smell of pizza hit my nostrils. I sat down on the couch when she placed the pizza on the table. Unable to wait, I started eating first. I pressed the play button on the remote control so the movie would start. Minutes later, Cathy sat down beside me and ate her share. I suddenly remembered what Logan said to me so I asked Cathy.

“Cathy, what’s happening on Monday?” She looked at me as if I were crazy.

“There’s school. What else do you think?”

“When you left to get the pizza a while ago, Logan told me he’d see me on Monday.” Wait…Monday. There was school. Monday + School = Logan is going to my school. How did I think of this just now?

“Don’t tell me he’s going to our school?!” I looked at her, hoping that my logic was wrong.

“Yup, he’s going to our school. His parents forced him to move here so he could start fresh.”

“Fresh? What happened when he was in...umm…where is he from?”

“He’s from Italy. I think you should ask him about his past yourself. He doesn’t really like people talking about his life.” She gave me an apologetic look. I nodded and smiled at her.

“It’s cool. I respect his privacy. I don’t think anyone would want their personal life to be said by another person.”

“By the way, why are you so against him going to our school?” Cathy asked curiously.

“I just find him an arrogant prick that won’t stop smirking every time something bad happens.” I answered so fast that I didn’t know I added that smirking part.

“You find his smirk sexy, don’t you?” She smirked at me. ‘What is wrong with these Fritzgraw’s and their smirks?!’

“No, I don’t.” I rolled my eyes at her.

“I know you’re lying. Come on, I’m your best friend. Admit it, woman!”

“Okay, fine. I find it somehow sexy, happy?” She just laughed and stayed silent after. We finally concentrated on the movie until Cathy asked me,

“So, what are you going to do about Luke?” Her question caught me off. I haven’t really thought of it after the incident happened.

“I don’t know. What do you think I should do?” I sighed, not knowing what to do about it.

“Well, since he moved here, I guess he would be attending school too.”

“Dang it. Why is everyone coming to our school this year?” I groaned. I can’t take this anymore. Everyone’s coming to make my life a living hell.

“You could just ignore him or hang out with Logan and pretend he’s your boyfriend.” I looked at her as if SHE were crazy.

“Boyfriend? Please, I can’t even stand five minutes with that guy. All he’d probably do is annoy the hell out of me if we were ever together.”

“Well, we could think about this tomorrow. We should go to bed now.” I looked at the clock and saw it was quarter to twelve. I changed my clothes into the spare that I always left in Cathy’s drawer in case I was staying over. I went over to the bed and fell asleep.

***

“WAKE UP, SLEEPYHEAD!” Cathy shouted in my ear and grabbed the blanket. I groaned and pushed her away. I opened my eyes a little and saw the clock. 10:45 am.

“What do you want? It’s still so early.” I grabbed the blanket from her and covered my whole body. But of course, Cathy being Cathy pulled back the blanket and I rolled out of the bed, landing on my butt. I checked if my butt was okay and said,

“Okay, okay. I’m awake!” I stood up and went to the bathroom.

“You have to shower quickly! We have something to do today.” I looked at her curiously. I never knew we had plans today.

“What ‘something’?” When Cathy says something, it’s usually really good or really bad.

“Oh, we’re just going to have a double date since that guy, Derrick, won’t stop asking me out. Oh and don’t worry, I got you a date already.” She smirked at me. I had a date? Crap. I never trusted Cathy with ‘dates’ since she always picked those desperados.

“Don’t tell me he’s another desperado or I will personally slap your face, Cathy.” I faced her with hope and seriousness evident on my face.

“I just said don’t worry. You’ll love him.” She winked at me, “Oh, hurry up. They’ll arrive in around twenty minutes.” She left the room and I was still registering what she said. ‘I hope he isn’t a weird one.’ I seriously prayed.

I showered as fast as I could and got my other spare clothing from the drawer. I was glad I had the same shoe size as Cathy because I wouldn’t want to go anywhere barefoot or someone who looked crazy for wearing a shoe with a bigger or smaller size.

I went down and saw Cathy sitting down on the couch. When I reached her, the doorbell rang. We both went to the door and Cathy opened it. I saw Derrick, one of the football players and actually one of the decent looking ones, smiling at her. Cathy smiled back and went to the car together with Derrick. I was now curious on who was my date since he hasn’t showed up.

“Oh, Andrea, we’ll meet up with your date at the Carnival.” Carnival? Did she say CARNIVAL? Omg, I loved Carnivals. They were one of the best things in life. All those rides and food that you can see and eat were just heaven.

“Girl, you never told me we were going to a Carnival!”

“Well, I wanted to surprise you since I knew you didn’t know about it and you so, so LOVE Carnivals.” She threw me a grin and I grinned back at her. The three of us stepped in Derrick’s car and it only took us ten minutes to reach the place. We stepped out of the car and I was so excited now. I was still wondering who my date was though.

“Cathy, your date is over there.” I looked to where she pointed. At first, I couldn’t recognize him because of the blinding sun but when he came nearer, it was like a brick fell on my head. That damn smirk was in front of me now.

“Hello there beautiful.” He greeted me with that mischievous smirk of his. I was shocked and my mouth was left open.

“You better close that mouth before I kiss you.” I closed my mouth and glared at him then Cathy. That girl was just grinning at me. I rolled my eyes at her.

“I wouldn’t want to use up one tube of toothpaste this early, Logan.” I looked at him, not wanting to lose.

‘This is going to be an interesting day.’ We both thought.