chapter 3

Class was dismissed and Y/N ignored the cries of Olivia and Tess for information as she quickly walked out of class. She was desperately holding on to her books, most of them falling on the floor, followed by her desperate hurry to pick them up. 

"You know you can't hide from us forever," Tess whispered in her ear as she was picking up, yet again, another book. Y/N yelped and dropped everything. She sighed and rolled her eyes, picking up her stuff, but this time in a neat order. 

Olivia squatted next to her and helped, "So, it was really that embarrassing?"

"It wasn't embarrassing, I guess. I just don't know what to do about it."

"Does he seriously want to go to the Yule Ball with you? I mean, no offense, I doubt it. He's Tom Riddle," Tess pointed out. 

Y/N finally got her books together and started walking with her two classmates to the dining hall. "Honestly, I have no idea. I've never ran out of a classroom so fast after potions." 

Olivia just laughed and slung her arm around Y/N, "Well, I guess we'll find out soon enough." Y/N groaned, throwing her head back with disappointment. As they entered the dining hall, unexpectedly, the voices got louder and more people were whispering that usual. Y/N tired to ignore all of it as Tess patted her shoulder and said it will be okay. The girls always sat at the Gryffindor table, mostly because Tess insisted, but also because it was the only place Olivia and Y/N felt welcome. Y/N at the beginning of her stay at Hogwarts, had been sorted into (your house). She always felt at home there and accepted but the friends she made in classes were more important than house pride to her. 

As the girls sat down and starting serving their plates she could see Tom and his friends glancing at her and laughing. She didn't know if it was a good laughing or a bad laughing, if there's even a difference. About halfway through the meal, Tom got up, which really got people talking. He strutted his way towards their table while Y/N began to stuff her mouth with food, trying to avoid talking. Tess hit her arm because she knew that at this point it was inevitable. 

"Good lunch?" Tom smiled, more predatory than kind.

Y/N nodded and continued to chew. Tom's smile turned into a smile of disgust and a small nod as he sat down next to her, straddling the bench. Y/N turned towards him, inches away and swallowed her food, followed by a nervous chuckle.

"You know I normally don't do this kind of thing. No matter who they are, or what their house. But, I decided I didn't want to do the Herbology paper, and I know your fantastic at that class, since Rosier always sees your good grades during Transfigurations-" Y/N scowled and thought, that little rat. Tom continued, "So in exchange for helping you, you are going to do my Herbology paper for me. Oh, and don't worry. We're not going to the Yule Ball together."

"I didn't ask for your help! Why should I do your paper?" Y/N was getting quiet angry at Tom. She had always heard about how awful he was but she never thought that he was just a plain asshole.

"Because I said so, Y/N."

Chills ran down her back at the way he spat her name, and chills followed with the next sentence he spoke.

"And if you don't do this for me, and many other things to come, you can say goodbye to a happy life," Tom smiled happily and went back to his table, not even glancing back.

"What an empty threat," Tess snorted.

"It's not empty Tess. He studies the dark arts, I've heard that he killed his family last summer," Olivia leaned into the table to tell them this, making sure no one else was hearing.

"I'm going to have to do everything he asks, aren't I?" Y/N was looking down at her food, ready to hurl.

"Even if you do, it won't be that bad! Its just papers and assignments," Tess added nonchalantly, with a shrug.

"Hopefully that's all he wants," Olivia gave Y/N a worried look.

Y/N's eyes snapped up at the girls, "That's all he's going to get. One Herbology paper."

Tess and Olivia looked at each other with nervousness in their eyes.

They ate their lunch in silence.