Chapter Thirteen

A day later, Kylie woke up to find the fever had broken; there was a thin sheen of sweat on her forehead. She took a cold shower, changing the settings to hot to ease her aching muscles. She lathered her skin with moisturiser as soon as she came out, the steam surrounding her like fog. She cursed as she bumped her ribs on the edge of the sink. It was so easy to hurt herself – by breathing, coughing, laughing. She swallowed a couple of her tablets and quickly got dressed into her trademark black uniform.

She jumped as she walked out of the room to find Jared in the corridor. He was holding a brown envelope in his hands, with a smile on his face. His eyes lit up when he saw her looking better.

“I have something for you,” he said, handing her the envelope. It had her name scrawled on the front, and a first class stamp in the right-hand corner.

Her hands were shaking as she ripped along the side of the envelope and pulled out the white paper inside. She swallowed as she saw her grandmother’s writing.

Tears fell from her eyes before she could stop them.

“You got it?” she asked, her voice squeaky.

He nodded. “It took a while to talk my father round but he finally got on the phone to an Official.”

She smiled so wide it hurt.

“Do you want a seat?” His hand was on her shoulder. She was so grateful.

She nodded, mumbling ‘thank you’’s. She sat down at the breakfast table and smoothed the letter onto the granite counter.

Tears dropped and smudged the paper and she wiped the tears from her face, which were blurring her eyesight.

Dear Kylie,

It’s been a while. I hope you’re doing okay! You’ve got a good work ethic so I’m sure you’re getting on fine. I just hope they’re treating you well – they must be if they’re letting me write you. You don’t have to worry about me. All the regulars miss your face but they’ve been giving me more tips because they know I’m on my own. Topaz must be exciting! I’m sure you’re in your element in the city. I just want to let you know I’m not disappointed in you. You’ve always stood up for yourself, and I could never be angry with you for doing just that. You’re a strong girl. I’m so proud of you. I’m looking forward to your return. I miss you so much.

Love, your Grandmother.

Kylie smiled as she read and re-read the words over and over again until she had the letter memorized. She sniffed as the tears came back with a vengeance. She looked up at Jared through her tears and held her arms out. He gathered her into a comforting embrace. She rested her head on the crook in his shoulder and breathed in the minty scent of his aftershave.

“These are happy tears, right?” he asked, his voice muffled by her hair.

“Definitely,” she murmured. “Thank you so much.”

“You deserved it,” he answered. He ran his fingers through her hair.