Chapter Two

Chapter Two

    He couldn't believe what had just happened, even if he tried to accumulate it all together with all his might and will. The whole situation that played before him he couldn't put the pieces together to accept that it might have been actually real. He thought how all this could be some neurological problem, he began to grow a little scared. He thought that he should check himself into the hospital for this, but he knew that sleep deprivation caused hallucinations to arise. And for awhile he thought he could feel his internal organs were moving. For awhile he thought he could feel his body working, he thought he felt his organs pumping.

    He decided that tonight was all he could handle. It was all his body could take, enough of what his brain made up. He needed to get into something much more comfortable, something better than an itchy red button up flannel, Carharrt Tan Cargo pants, and Kenneth Cole brown IM-Prove boots. Even his black wool socks were causing him to get sweaty and irritated. As he slowly undressed himself, he felt his brain over working itself, playing out situations of his "made up" story of the mystery girl. Sequence after sequence, his experience played out like a movie, until he was finally dressed in his dark blue pajama bottoms, and gray long sleeve shirt, looking at his bed. Though he was ready to lay down, he was not ready to sleep. He would be soon though.

    Stepping into his plain blue bathroom he caught the memories of hard days of fixing things. Nearly everything in this cabin was was reconstructed. As sad as it was, he just wanted to forget everything and everyone ever involved with his life. But some things he just could not change, so instead of replacing it with something new, he just moved it into a different place inside the house, one thing he could not fix and left it as it was, was the broken mirror. His bare feet smacked the cold tile, feeling a slight urge to put on socks because momma always said "You'll get sick with no socks on cold tile floors." He usually always listened to momma, but momma wasn't around no more, even though he wanted to be the perfect son, he was wishing he would get sick right now, maybe then he would have to check himself into the hospital, and from there on, they would be able to tell something wasn't exactly right about him. "Not today momma." He said aloud.

    They would be able to tell just how insane he truly was, if he checked himself in. Stepping up in front of the mirror, he looked up at the broken mirror. The mirror captured how he felt inside so well. He swallowed and looked down, turning the water on, he leaned over the sink. Feeling a slight relief he would be finally getting some sleep. He knew he needed it, and with that, the word "needed" was a necessity, and he always liked the needing for something he had to do. Normally, he would have been sleeping for days not wanting to get up, but these past weeks he was the complete opposite. He didn't sleep until he had to.

    The water was luke warm, and just as he splashed it on his face. The water had the affect of the complete opposite of what he was expecting for it to do. He was more awake now, and he thought, how great. He opened up the cabinet and grabbed the sleeping pill jar. Feeling uneasy as he already was, he legs already weak, he took four pills anyways. For a second, a image pressed itself inside his brain, of him chugging the whole bottle of pills, but something stronger of himself, pushed itself out of the mirror, grabbed the bottle from his hands and dumped it all down the drain, after it disappeared back into the mirror. Where he now pressed the image out, and looked at himself. He figured the strong part of him was momma. And for some reason, he did just what the stronger part of him did, he dumped all the pills down the drain. He decided that today, wasn't going to be the day he dies.

    He splashed more water on his face, and just as his eyes slowly opened the shower curtain slowly moved. His hands slowly fell from his face, he looked at the shower curtain as the water dripped down his cheeks. He looked at the shower, and froze. He felt today's breakfast hurtle itself up his throat. Closing his eyes tightly, he swallowed it back down. He felt breakfast fight against him. He turned the sink faucet off, and took a deep breath in. He faced the shower, and it moved, just ever so slightly. Again, he swallowed. He backed up, grabbing the towel hanging from the railing, and dried his face, he then set the towel on the toilet lid. Stepping closer to the shower. His hand slowly reached for the curtain. His large hand gripped the curtains, and he quickly moved them to the side.

    There she was. The little girl stared at him. Caution and nobility written all over her face. Shes real, shes really here, he thought, maybe I'm not crazy. As he closed his eyes tightly and opened them. Still with his jacket on, she sat in the inch of water from the shower he took earlier. He got grossed out, she sat in his filth. He saved water, he never ever drained it after showers, he needed the water for the plants inside the cabin, even though the ones had to manage outside were all dead now, it was just a matter of time before the ones inside died on his care too. He looked at the little girl sitting in the filth of water. He bent down slowly, to be at her eye level. His eyes went on hers, he saw the dark bags beneath her blue eyes. He looked around the bathroom. Trying to think of what he had to do, what she needed that he must suppler her with.

    He sighed, and looked back at the girl who was intently watching him. Telling by her chubby cheeks, the baby hairs falling out of her messy pony tail, height and the look on her face, this little girl was no older than four. He felt sympathy spill over himself. He stood up slowly, he palm facing her. He spoke gently and slowly. "Please stay here." He raised his eye brows and backed up. Both palms now facing her. "Please do not move from this spot." He swallowed. "Ill be right back, please stay here."

    He backed up out of the bathroom, and closed the door in front of him. He turned around, and pressed his back to the door. Closing his eyes and shaking his head. "This has to be a joke." He said looking up at the ceiling. Breathing deep, he was all together completely confused on what to do. Looking down his hallway, he realized why she must be sitting in the water. It must have still been warm from earlier. She must be cold. He walked to his bedroom and went shuffling through his drawers. He grabbed a old small shirt that didn't fit him anymore. It was a black elbow length Giant's shirt. He walked back towards the bathroom, his hand on the door knob. He stared at his hand, and slowly turned the door knob. There eyes directly met, she still sat in the water. He couldn't ignore the dirty face before him. His eyes went all around on what to do.

    He slowly walked up towards her, kneeling down, the shirt between his legs, he spoke softly. "This shirt." He raised the shirt up so she could have a better view. "You can have." She looked at the shirt. "I bet you are cold." His hand dropped the corner of the shirt and went for the bathtub fossit, slowly with caution he maintained eye contact. Flipping the drain off, the water went down with a twirl. "This will help you." Flipping the drain back on, and turning both fossits on neutral. The water poured out into the bathtub. "Take a bath." He said. "You are dirty. Clean up." She stared at him. He knelt down staring at her, waiting for a response but he did not get one, and he knew he would not get one. He turned the water off when it was a little less then half and stood up.

    Walking towards the door. He stopped at the toilet. Pointing with his thumb behind him, towards the door. "Ill be out here." He said. "And these will be right here." He set the shirt on top of the towel. She watched every move he was making, and right there and then, he knew she understood what he was saying. And was correct, she slowly nodded to him, for some reason, he couldn't help but to give a smile, even though he knew she wouldn't smile back, so he nodded right back, and he walked out of the bathroom.

    Taking a deep breath in, he raised his eye brows, and started walking down the hall, towards the living room, he got to his chair, and cracked his back, he heard water splashing, he sat in his recliner chair, stretching it back so his legs were up. He could see the hallway from where he sat. As minutes and minutes passed, his eyes fixed on the door. Soon his eyes began to get heavy, they began to slowly close as his eyes were still trying to fix on the bathroom door that was slowly opening.