Chapter 46- (To The Moon And Back)

Start from the beginning

Tatum pulled me in a tight hug, "God damnit Belle, I love you so damn much."

                             ~*~
Tonight was Tatum and I's last night together. This morning we ate a late lunch with Tatum's father. I wish I could lie but the chemo treatments he has been going through are really taking a toll on him. As if the pale skin and under eye bruises weren't a dead giveaway to his health, the fact that he puked up his lunch as soon as we got home made me realize how bad his condition was.

I could see the pain on Tatum's face as he watched his father hovering over the toilet. Not only was pain in his eyes but guilt; it was eating him from the inside out. He knew he has to leave but knowing that his father is sick scared him. Beside me and his brother, he is the only family Tatum has left.

As soon as the sun started to set, Tatum took my hand and insisted that we go someplace.

"Tatum we can't leave, let's just stay home with your dad."

Tatum kissed my forehead and gave a sad smile, "As much as I want to stay with my dad tonight, I've had these plans with you already before I knew pops was sick. Now come on, we are leaving."

I nodded, "What the hell do you have up your sleeve Mr. Boyer?"

He smirked, "Wait and find out."

"I don't need to change right?" I said looking at my light blue sun dress that I wore to lunch.

Tatum was still wearing a plaid blue button down tucked into his belted Levi's from lunch, "No baby, you look beautiful. No need to change."

We hopped into his black truck and started driving. We passed by acres of growing corn and wheat with the windows down and the fresh air blowing around the cab. I smiled as Tatum reached over the center console and grabbed my hand, squeezing it tightly.

"Are you going to tell me what we are doing??"

He looked at me and smirked, "Nope."

I sighed and shut my mouth knowing he wasn't going to answer me. Instead I let more of the beautiful scenery pass by. It was actually kind of peaceful. However after a few more minutes of driving, I realized where we were going.

I turned to Tatum, "Are you driving us up to the mountain???"

His face lit up, "Maaaybeee."

Pretty soon we started driving through the old campground which only had a few sites with campers or tents parked on them. We slowly crept our way up the mountain until Tatum slowed down a the dimly lit pavilion all the way at the top. He parked the truck towards the side and helped me out.

I've seen this view a bunch of times before however tonight's view was different. Sure there was the beautiful view of the valley in Georgia residing many cities and small towns. Miles of farmlands and backroads, but under the pavilion was a picnic table set up all beautiful with cream tablecloth, candles and roses. On top of the table was covered plates of food.

"Oh my god Tatum. This is beautiful..." I said with my eyes starting to water.

He gave me a tight hug before ushering me over to the beautifully decorated table. The lights in the valley flickered along with the candles on the table making it a very romantic night.