Six

Teri

I entered a nearby grocery store, carrying handfuls of excitement. Sherri and I were planning on having dinner, tonight, at my place. And, I couldn't have been more happy. We'd been seeing each other for a few weeks now, and things were surely going smoothly, so far.

|Me : Hey, I'm out picking up a few things for dinner tonight.| I pulled out my phone, sending a text to Sherri's contact.
|Me : Anything you want in particular?|

Just as I was about to slide my phone back in the left pocket of my hoodie, the box of chocolates, I'd gotten for my love, slipped from underneath my arms.

"Oh, I got it." A voice sounded off from behind me.
I turned around to a middle aged, brunette haired woman, with a rose tattoo covering her right arm.
She then handed me the box.

"Ah, thank you for that." I smiled. "You didn't have to—"

"Do you know who you are?" She had a gasping mouth, impeding my words.

Being stopped in public, by fans, was something that occurred quite frequently. And, I didn't mind it. Not at all. I loved to hear the positivity they'd give--informing me of how the show or my character had impacted their life in some sort of way. It was definitely an amazing feeling.

"Well, I think I'm—"
But, just as I was about to respond, she cut me off. Once again. "Oh my gosh! I can't believe I'm speaking with Teri Polo!" Her eyes grew watery. "The Teri Polo!"

"Yep, its me." I smiled, slightly. "What's your name?"

"So, you and Sherri are very close, obviously." She ignored my question, looking at me sideways.  "What's your secret? Are you guys together in real life?"

"Well, it wouldn't be a secret if I told you, now would it?" I laughed, joking around. "No, no. Sherri and I are friends...who are obsessed with each other. We just...love each other very much." I then lied, and felt horrible doing so. I didn't like this feeling--having to deny every question regarding Sherri and I. 

The girl continued to talk, asking more questions about the cast and show, and so forth. But, all I could think about was having to lie about whether or not I was in a relationship with the love of my life.

I didn't get it. Why should I had to have kept our love a secret, when it was a love so true and real? I should've been showing Sherri off to the world, claiming her as mine. Not being afraid to let it be known.

When the girl finally walked off, I pulled my phone back out, only to see that Sherri still hadn't replied to my text.

Sherri

"Okay, Michelle," I began, wanting her to come clean about whatever it is that she had hidden in her throat. "I've waited long enough. Spill it."

She looked up at Khamar, their eyes communicated words I didn't catch. She even grew almost hesitant. "I'm--well, I was pregnant."

My heart stopped, then began again. Flabbergasted, my eyes shot straight up at Khamar, then back at the woman standing before me. "I'm sorry. What?"

She didn't respond. Not one word fell from her lips. Instead, a single tear struggled to reach the end of her chin.
I faced my husband with my own tears eating at my pupils. "Why didn't you tell me?!"

"Sherri, how could I tell you, when just like you, I knew nothing about Michelle being preg—"

Michelle finally spoke again, cutting Khamar off. "Oh, he knew. I texted the news to him first, then we met up afterwards."