Chapter 60:

Melanie's POV
-
Loud beeping had drawn me back to consciousness, however I couldn't find the strength to open my eyes. I didn't realise how much my head hurt until the throbbing kicked in, I tried to rub the sore area but my arms felt heavy.

"Melanie?" I heard a deep voice question, I furrowed my eyebrows and opened my eyes slightly, my vision blurred. A tall figure immediate stood up and ran out of the door, what the hell?

I blinked repeatedly until my vision was slightly clearer, I looked around to see I was in what looked like a hospital. My heart skipped a beat when three people burst into the room.

"Hello Melanie, my name is Dr. Eaton. Can you hear me properly?" He asked, gently crouching down beside the bed. I nodded slightly and looked at the other two in the room by the door.

"Liam?" I tried to ask but my voice could barely go above a whisper. He smiled and walked to the other side of the bed, sitting down and rubbing my hand slightly.

"Melanie, do you know why you're here?" The same doctor asked gently, I looked at him again and furrowed my eyebrows, trying to recall what happened.

Harry was drunk, he became violent. After that it was just a blur, I can't remember passing out.

I looked at Liam for help and he slightly nodded his head, did he want me to tell them? I can't. Harry would get into more trouble.

"I'm sorry, I don't." I answered his question. He quickly jotted something down on his clipboard and sighed deeply. "Do you remember what happened?" He asked another question.

Again I shook my head, "no." I lied. Liam bit his lip and rubbed my hand more calmly. Dr. Eaton stood up properly and gave his clipboard to what looked like his assistant who was standing at the door looking unsure. He must be new.

He scurried out of the room as soon as he retrieved the clipboard, "Melanie, I have some good and bad news for you." He said, sitting on the edge of the bed by my feet.

I sighed and closed my eyes, not wanting to hear the bad news. "Start with the good." I groaned, my head throbbing even more. He looked at Liam and then back at me, "luckily we were able to give you a blood transfusion and your health is good now, finding a match wasn't hard as you have the most common blood type, O." He explained. I nodded and he continued talking.

"A blood transfusion? How long have I been here?" I asked in confusion. The doctor nodded and replied, "yes, a blood transfusion, we had someone who was extremely eager to help." The doctor smiled widely. I looked at Liam and he smiled sheepishly, that's when I noticed the small bandage on his arm.

I smiled at him and gave a slight nod, "thank you." I mouthed. He gave me a small wink and I turned back to the doctor as he spoke again, "but you have been in here for five days today." My eyes widened, five days? I didn't even know.

"On the other hand, there is some bad news." I looked at Liam and he looked sorrowful. I gulped and sighed, the doctor placed his hand on my shin in a caring manor and began to speak. "Unfortunately, you have sadly encountered a miscarriage. There was too much blood lost for your child to survive, I'm very sorry."

My heart stopped for a second and I stared at him in shock, my mouth fell slightly ajar. "I'll leave you two alone." He said and quietly left the room, it was silent.

I looked down at my hands which were resting in my stomach, I had wires hooked up to me and things attached to my fingers but I ignored them. The only thing that I saw was my now flatter stomach.

My eyes watered and I clenched my teeth together, "Melanie, I'm so sorry." Liam said quietly, rubbing my wrist. He stood up and knelt down on the bed, wrapping his arms around me gently.

"You can cry, you know?" He whispered in my ear, rubbing circles in my back. Tears began to overflow my eyes and I let out a small whimper, I buried my face into his shoulder and gently wrapped my arms around him.

A few seconds passed before I began to cry, letting it all out. "It's okay." He whispered, kissing my ear slightly. I shook my head and cried harder, "no it's not." I croaked.

He stayed silent and pulled my body closer to his, squeezing me harder. He sat down beside me on the bed and intertwined his legs with mine. "Harry is going to be so mad." I cried. Liam's grip became a little tighter and I felt his jaw clench against my temple.

Looking at the clock, I saw that fifteen minutes had passed of us being in the same position, I removed my head from his chest and sighed, wiping my eyes with the back on my hands.

I narrowed my eyebrows when I felt something hard on my face, I rolled my eyes when I realised it was tubes up my nose. I cringed slightly and ignored them. Liam chuckled at me and pulled the stray bit of hair that was trapped by the tubes, tucking it behind my ear.

"Harry already knows, he's not mad." He whispered, giving me a reassuring smile. "He's not?" I asked. Liam shook his head and rubbed my leg gently, "no, I told him when the doctor told me, he's come to accept it over the past five days." He replied.

I nodded and slouched back into the pillows, "thank you, Liam." I said quietly, he shifted and laid beside me on his back. "For what?" He asked cluelessly, I looked to my side to see he was already looking at me. "Everything." I replied.

He slightly nodded, "anything for you." He smiled. I smiled back and went to turn back to look at the ceiling but his hand stopped me. He leant closer until our noses were nearly touching, his breath on my lips. "Can I?" He whispered.

My heart was racing and my hands began to sweat, I didn't reply to him. "I'm gonna do it anyway." He chuckled. After he said those words, his lips touched mine and he instantly smiled.

I carefully pulled away and looked at him in embarrassment, my cheeks were hot and I could see the redness forming on his.

Vibrant colours caught the corner of my eye and I turned to look at them, a bunch of different coloured roses were stood in a vase on the table beside the bed, as was a small teddy bear with a small envelope.

I picked it up and instantly knew who it was from by the handwriting. I opened the envelope and pulled out the note inside.

'Princess,

I'm sorry I can't be with you whilst you're reading this, it kills me knowing you're sat in there and I can't comfort you. I love you.

I can't wait for you to be released and that shouldn't be too long now, I just want you back in my arms for good. I miss you like crazy, baby. I love you.

When you do come out, I will be waiting right outside for you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I should probably stop writing that so much.

Please understand why I can't be with you right now, I would if I could. But when you do come out I'm expecting the biggest hug and kiss from you, don't worry, I'll return them too.

I'll end this here before you get bored and fall asleep, but just remember that I'm always here, (like literally, I've been sleeping in my car these past couple of days) and I love you, okay?

See you soon, beautiful.

- H x'

I smiled slightly at the note and put in back in the envelope gently, placing it beside the teddy again. I rubbed my eyes and let out a small yawn. Liam chuckled and shook his head.

"Really? You're tired? You've been asleep for five days, how much sleep does one girl need?" He joked. I smiled and pulled the thin blanket up to my chin, "a lot." I replied, closing my eyes and letting out a small sigh.

"Night Liam."

"Night Mel."