“Are you sure?” She asked, hesitant.

I wanted to strangle her and hug her at the same time.

“I’m sure. Thank you.” I replied.

She nodded and got back on her bike. She glanced back at me one more time before riding off.

I felt like crying. The pain had vanished as quickly as it had come. That was definitely a symptom of my illness. I was scared and tired. I suddenly wanted nothing more than to tell someone. I couldn’t handle this on my own. I needed someone to talk to.

Jackie’s house came into view. I was surprised I hadn’t noticed I’d carried on walking. I shook my head and resisted the urge to slap myself. I couldn’t just dump my secret on Jackie. I came here to resolve her issue with Zach, not whine about my own predicament.

I rang the doorbell. The mahogany door swung open minutes later. I sucked in a breath. An attractive young man stood in the doorway. His smoldering dark eyes captivated me the second they landed on me. He pulled his lips apart for a blinding smile.

Sei bellissima.” He said in a husky voice. “Good afternoon.” He greeted in English.

I blushed under his gaze.

Grazie.” I replied.

His eyes widened slightly, as though he didn’t expect me to understand Italian.

“I’m Aberto De Laurentis, but call me Abe.” He smiled lazily and held out a hand.

I shook his hand. My cheeks remained hot.

“Mia Evans.” I whispered.

“Come in.” He said moving aside.

My heart hammered in my chest as I brushed past him.

“Jackie’s in her bedroom.” He said. His English was faultless but there was a shadow of an accent in his velvet voice.

I nodded distractedly. My heightened senses were well aware of his tall, sturdy physique standing right behind me.

My eyes widened as they surveyed the hallway. Jackie’s mother decorated her house in extravagant ornaments. I always admired her distinct sense of style. Several items in the house gave away her Italian heritage.

I noticed with a dawning feeling, that Jackie’s Italian relatives were visiting. I glanced back to confirm my thoughts with Aberto but he had already disappeared. I furrowed my eyebrows and continued making my way through the toy littered hall. Two children ran past me. They squealed and screeched as they bumped into furniture. I entered the living room and all but dropped my jaw.

Jackie didn’t lie when she said she had about thirty cousins. Many of them lounged in the living room. A young girl picked at the beads of one of the sofa cushions. I scrunched up my face. What a shame.

“Mia, bambolina, come here.” Anna Thorne, Jackie’s mother, beckoned.

I approached her with a genuine smile. Anna was like a second mother to me. She was just a smidge less crazy than her daughter. She was tall and curvy and exceptionally easy on the eyes. Before she’d had Jackie, she’d been a fashion model. Age had done nothing to her but well.

“Sorry for all the noise.” Anna giggled and pulled me in for a hug. “Are you here to see what’s wrong with Jackie? She threw a chair at me when I tried to talk to her.”

I laughed at her. She seemed to find that her daughter throwing furniture was normal. Her eyes held nothing but motherly concern.

“I’m here to talk to her.” I reassured her.