~2~

Lexi clung to Misty's mane as the horse sped for home. While perfectly capable of flying, being a magical horse living in the underworld, Lexi preferred the feeling of the beast's muscular hind quarters grinding against her buttocks, and the sound of hooves pounding the dirt. There was something erotic about riding bareback, although Lexi had not thought of it that way until she met Hades. Now, she was living the life of a goddess and having regular sex with the god of the dead. Three months since their first hello, the thought still sent chills up her spine.

Hecate, goddess of sorcery, had a different idea of how Lexi should spend her time; delivering intensive lectures about the gods of Olympus while Lexi took notes. She claimed it was crucial for Lexi to understand her duties as a goddess, not just daily conjugation with Hades. While Lexi enjoyed Hades's frequent compliments and affectionate nature, she knew there would be more to eternity than flattery and great sex.

Hecate also liked to use Lexi as her delivery girl, and she carried home a sack of arugula, green onions, and cherry tomatoes for the nymphs. Fiona, a talent in the kitchen, relied heavily on Hecate's talent in the garden. The nymph had even recreated Chef Pastille's vanilla fudge to perfection, but Lexi would never tell him that.

The other package Lexi carried home contained her monthly dose of wild yam powder, a medicinal she used as a contraceptive. She may have agreed to be Hades's consort, but she had just turned eighteen, and she wanted to wait until her godly powers matured before she got knocked up. She had an eternity to think about it, and she was having too much fun riding the waves of passion with her handsome god.

The palace bridge came into view, reminding Lexi of her meeting with Hades and of another bridge she had yet to cross. Persephone was due to arrive in a few days' time, and Lexi was worried as hell. Although the nymphs gushed about Persephone's goodness, Lexi couldn't decide if this made her more worried. Would Persephone's goodness win out over anything Lexi could bring to the table? Was Lexi destined to play second string mate for eternity?

While most girls lost their virginity to their high school sweetheart or the boy next door, Lexi had celebrated her eighteenth birthday by climbing into the back of a limo and doing the deed with a near total stranger. As it turned out, their love grew like wildfire, and now she could not imagine her life without Hades. She didn't want to see him in the arms of another, sharing a lusty kiss, but that was reality. She was the mistress, the other woman, the meager demigod. But she still had a heart.

Misty snorted, distracting Lexi from her desperate thoughts as if she had spoken them out loud. When she refocused on the path ahead, she saw Hades waiting for her at the foot of the bridge. He wore a powder blue shirt and heather gray pants, his white robe slung over one arm. Even from fifty yards, Hades's elegant bearing gave him the appearance of royalty, and Lexi waved excitedly as she let the subject of mates and mistresses drop. For now, she was still his sole desire.

 For now, she was still his sole desire