In the shadow of a colossus

Start from the beginning

“Oh, they went to a party or something.” 

“So there’s nothing for supper?” 

“Mom says that we are old enough to fix our own food.” 

Pearl grunted, “I should have eaten at the restaurant.” 

Amber glanced across at her sister, “How does that work?” 

“Saturday afternoons, when it quietens down, we get a light meal off the menu.” 

Amber sniffed, “Something else that I miss out on, doing the first part of the week.” 

Pearl went into the kitchen. “I do share the tips from Saturday with you!” She rooted about in the refrigerator, “You want to exchange your share of the tips for a soggy toasted sandwich in a doggy bag, just let me know!” 

Amber said nothing and went back to flipping through the channels with the television remote. 

Pearl came back with a sandwich and a glass of juice. She placed these on the floor next to her chair, reached for the sandwich and bit into it. She spoke with her mouth full, “Stop! Go back! I want to see that!” 

“See what?” 

“Go back to that music video!” 

Amber rolled her eyes and went back to the previous channel. The song had just ended. She pulled a face, “It’s just finished.” She tossed the remote control to her sister, “There’s nothing to watch anyhow.” 

Pearl washed the sandwich down with some juice. “I’ve got some news.” 

Amber continued reading, “Oh yes.” 

“I got a job working for a car hire firm out at the airport. Very convenient, I can take the Gautrain from Sandton City.” 

Amber looked up, “What, you’re dropping out of school?’ 

“No silly! It’s a holiday job. It pays way better than the restaurant.” She drained the remains of the juice, “Plus, it’s good experience!” 

Amber looked uncertain. “What happens at the restaurant then?” 

“You just carry on as normal.” Standing up, “Except, you get all the days now, including Saturday and free dinner!” 

Amber looked down at the magazine, “I’m not sure I want to have to work every day.” She turned the pages without reading, “It’s fine for you, but I either have to spend the holidays working like a slave, or quit.” 

“I’m sorry Amber. I didn’t want to turn this down.” She went off to take a shower. 

The next day was Sunday and the girls spent the day lounging around at home. The swimming pool water was too cold at that time of year, but it was warm in the sun and possible to build up a bit of a suntan. 

Amber rubbed suntan lotion onto her legs, “I’ve also got some news.” 

Pearl did not open her eyes, “You’re changing jobs as well?” 

“I won’t tell you if that’s your attitude!” 

“Sorry. Please tell me, I promise to be nice.” 

“Remember that guy that I met while we were on holiday in Mauritius?” 

Pearl laughed, turned her head towards her sister and opened one eye, “Byron or something wasn’t he?” 

“Bruce.” 

“Ah yes, Bruce!” She giggled, “Suntanned, blonde surfer boy! Yes, I remember him; muscular, dumb.... Definitely your type!”