From Starbucks and Airdrop

From Starbucks and Airdrop – Reilin One-shot

A/N: okay, this is my first completed SA fanfic! i really hope you enjoy, and feel free to give me feedback because i'm just that kind of person who needs to know what they need to improve on, lol. and btw, I also have quoted a bit of Fire and Ice at the end of this one shot!

Summary: Meilin is at her favourite café, Starbucks, just because she wants to finish off her essay and to get away from her loneliness. But when a mysterious macbook user that goes by the name of 'Essix' sends her a document, things take a turn for the better.

Disclaimer: Sadly, I don't own the Spirit Animals series. No copyright infringement intended!

Genre: Reilin AU, fluff, a tiny bit of angst? idek

Word Count: 1,273

Warnings: none

"Mee-lin!" a shout could be heard over the horrifically noisy buzz of people talking inside Starbucks on a scarily cold day.

Nobody ever knows how to pronounce my name, Meilin thinks, while weaving through the hoard of people crowding around the counter, muttering "excuse me"'s and "sorry"'s while to pick up her Chai Tea Latte she ordered. Although she hated how loud the café was, she enjoys the feeling of company even though she has none, just the illusion of it. Her drink pleasantly warm in one hand, and her tote bag with her macbook and textbooks in the other, she goes to the back of the overcrowded shop to find a seat where she can start her 'Laryngitis' essay she received today, which, was not due until next week.

Meilin was never the one to leave work undone until the last minute, earning her the name of "that smart Asian girl" in her university classes, but she doesn't care at all, because she is at the top of her Biomedical Science class, and that was all that mattered to her, sort of.

Before Meilin could even open up her unfinished biology essay, her laptop pinged, and her Finder application bounced on her dock. She clicks on the icon, and a laptop named 'Essix-memes-a-lot-to-me's Macbook Air' was trying to send a file named 'hey there person!'

She accepts the document out of curiosity, and opens it. Inside, there is a picture of a hawk in sunglasses with the text, 'ur awesome and don't let other people rain on your awesomeness'.

Meilin smiles, and decides to reply, choosing out a nice font and typing, 'Haha, thank you!' and adding a picture of a panda holding thumbs-up. She sends it back, and feels a sense of accomplishment when he accepts.

She gets back onto her biology essay, sipping her Chai Tea Latte while she types about how this particular type of virus breed. Another ping sounds from her laptop, and she accepts the file quickly, and opens it. A 'ur welcome, have a gr8 day! (: (: (:' is added, and she is feeling touched that someone would actually take time to make her smile.

She had cruised through her high-school with nearly everything, excellent grades, a friendly reputation, a pretty face and good style, except for one thing. A proper, human friend. Sure, she has her family and pet husky, Jhi, but she wanted a person who was interested and treated her like she mattered, not just because she was a perfect example to her school and classmates and has every box ticked as an 'A+' on a flimsy sheet of paper marked with her name given out at the end of the year, but she wants to be appreciated by her personality.

Maybe 'Essix-memes-a-lot-to-me' had sent the document to everyone who had airdrop open, but she still wants to make friends with them, nonetheless.

Meilin reckons that the person who had sent her the document was around her age, 17, or something, as memes were a 'internet generation' thing and doesn't expect older people to know about them. She looks up to see if anyone fits her description as the mysterious airdropper, but realises that from her secluded, quieter spot at the back of the cafe, she can not see many people at all. Oh well.

She decides to start off slow making friends, as nothing great comes out from being too forward. Maybe a 'How are you today?' would suffice. Meilin sends it off, and within 30 seconds she gets a reply. 'im fine, how about you? how's your day been? (:' it says. She types in her reply, and drops it on 'Essix-memes-a-lot-to-me's Macbook Air''s icon. She gets another reply almost instantly, and five minutes later, her essay was all but forgotten, Meilin furiously clacking at her keys, while replies have gotten quicker each time, from both sides, and they had moved on from the awkward just-being-polite topics to revealing more about their own personalities.

From their chat, Meilin learns that the person she is talking to introduces himself as Essix, is also 17, male, likes birds, want to become an optometrist, is an ESTP, likes to listen to OneRepublic and Coldplay just like herself, Essix is actually his pet hawk-headed parrot, not a forgotten meme, his favourite colour is green.

She also tells him a bit about herself, how she loves to browse on Tumblr, she is an INTJ, that she was offered a scholarship to one of the most prestigious universities when she was only 11, and she has been in that university since 15, is a very well-known artist on the DevA community, and she prefers to watch anime rather than filmed tv shows unlike Essix, who likes to watch shows like Teen Wolf and The Flash.

Meilin checks the time, and realises that it has almost been 20 minutes of her and this person just... talking. She is surprised that she feels like she's known him forever, even though they've only just 'met' today, and surprises herself again by feeling... attracted to Essix.

He's witty, funny, and seems to be sincerely friendly. It has been a while since she has had a conversation like this.

Was this what it was like to have a friend? To be able to talk like this all the time, whenever you want, not having to just wait for a person on the other side of the world to get on?

She also vaguely wants to have a proper speaking conversation, also wonders what the person she is talking to looks like, and it is rather tedious to keep on sending the document back and forth, but she doesn't mind too much, the feeling of having a friend stops her from continuing her essay.

Luckily, the guy asks for her, saving Meilin the embarrassment and time that would be spent on phrasing the question. It's just a simple 'do you wanna talk irl now? X)' and she replies jokingly, 'Sure, but you gotta buy a sandwich for me :P' and sends it back. She waits for a reply, but a minute, then two minutes has passed.

Surely Essix didn't take her seriously? Meilin is jolted back to her senses when a shout of "Lonely panda's macbook!" is called, which is her laptop's name. She blinks in surprise, surprised he took her seriously, but then again, sarcasm wasn't easy to tell in written words.

She packs up, quickly shoving her textbooks and macbook inside her tote bag, and re-adjusts her beanie, scarf, pastel blue sweater and jeggings, making sure she is looking presentable before meeting 'Essix'. Regrettably standing up from her warm chair, she walks over back to the counter, scanning the counter for the fruit salad.

"Looking for something?" a mellow male behind her comes behind her. She whips her head around and sees a shockingly handsome young man with a charming smile and such cute boyish features, holding a plastic fork and her fruit salad in one hand, and his other stretched out to her, for a handshake.

Meilin is stunned for a moment, entranced by this man's tanned skin that reminded her of that soothingly warm Chai Tea Latte, dark chocolaty hair and his warm, brown eyes.

"Yeah, that salad you've got there." she smiles, finally finding her voice.

"Lonely panda right? I'm Essix, or actually, Rollan." he reaches out to shake her hand.

"Yes, I am. Just call me Meilin." she replies, and he grins. She takes his hand, but forgets to shake it, and Rollan seems to have forgotten too. His fingers are warm, and Meilin has never been so aware of the beating of her heart.