Chapter 4

The sun streaming through the window woke me the next morning. I noticed that my dress was gone from the floor and a fire had been lit in the small fireplace of the sleeping chambers I was occupying. I groaned and rolled over to find breakfast sitting on the small table next to the bed. Some cool, refreshing milk along with some still warm sticky buns. I ate quickly until I felt I was close to bursting.

I crossed to the wardrobe and started contemplating my outfit for the day when Christine bustled in.

"Morning milady. I have ordered you a bath to start your morning off right."

"The whole castle knows of what happened last night, don't they?"

"Um. Well milady it isn't really my place to say...."

"Please do. I would much rather know what I am up against in regards about what is being said of my father and I."

"They are saying that your father is not a true gentleman and that you are an unusual lady in the way you tried to make yourself look bad last night to take the notice off of him. The other maids are all a twitter about your knight though. And how gallant he was for taking the brunt of everything as well."

"Well that will make him happy. He loves to be the center of attention. His name is William, just so you know. He has risen quickly to become my fathers favorite knight."

As we had been talking the bath had been prepared. I sent Christine away and stepped into the bath after I had disrobed. As I leaned back against the tub I let the calming scent of vanilla lull me into a relaxed state. I took an inventory of my body and realized that most of my bruises had faded into a sickly yellow. Thankfully I wouldn't have to worry about hiding them in the near future.

After my fingers had gotten all pruney and the water had turned tepid I quickly rinsed off with an extra pitcher of water provided just for that purpose.

Christine came back in and helped me into a new dress for the day. This one was a purple color with some very fine white stitching along the hem, collar and sleeves of the dress. As she asked me to sit down to do my hair I implored her to do it in a simple manner. She rolled her eyes slightly and complied to my request simply braiding my hair down my back and tying it off with a white ribbon.

"Is there anywhere I can go for a walk outside it seems like a lovely morning. Oh but I don't want to miss Margret when she comes to look at my dresses.'

"The little miss won't be coming until later in the morning so you have time to enjoy the gardens behind the castle if you wish."

"That would be wonderful. Will you show me the way to get there?"

"Of course milady"

"Just let me put my boots on as well as my jewelry for the day and we can leave." I quickly did as I said and we were off. She led me through the castle, pointing out details that I would remember to find my way back to my room.

We finally reached the doorway that led outside.

"Here you are milady. I have other chores to complete. If you run into any problems finding your way back to your rooms just ask anyone and they will point you in the right direction."

"Thank you very much Christine. You have been wonderful to me so far. I will see you later and have a good day"

Christine thanked me, bobbed a curtsy and sped away.

I walked through the door and into a wonderland of beauty. Lilacs were everywhere as well as pansies, snow drop, Hyacinth, daffodils, azaleas, and tulips since it was early spring. The gardens were full of color and I spent a pleasant two hours roaming around and enjoying the sunshine.