Chapter 2

I entered my fathers room and he automatically started picking apart my apperance.

"What took you so long, and why is your hair wet? You had better not have a weapon on you. If you looked and acted more like your mother then we might actually have a chance"

I simply curtsied to my father and let his hurtful words wash over me. I missed my brother at that moment. I knew that if he were here he would have stood up for me. He and my fathers friends were the only people that my father listened to.

"When we meet with the baron and his sons you will sit there and let me do all of the talking. I'm sure that if you open your mouth you will ruin all the hard work I have put into this. We need to align our house with another great house. With your brother doing who knows what it comes down to you. I know it is a lot to ask but you had better do as I say or I will be the angriest you have seen me. Now let us go and meet with this man. Remeber, let me do the talking."

We waited until we heard a knock on the door. As it oppened we saw it was Alexander coming to take us down to the great hall where the meeting would be held. I just hoped that we wouldn't have an audience.

As we walked through the castle I noticed that it seemed very homely. Large tapestries covered the walls as well as paintings. There were tables along the halls with vases filled with flowers and trinkets on them. Long carpets ran the length of the hallways. Despite it making the huge fortress more welcoming it also showed the wealth as well as the history of this vast place. I hadn't really noticed all the small details when I was being shown my rooms. I had been so tired and just concentrating on hurrying. Now I was trying to distract myself from the meeting that was looming ahead of us.

Alexander lead us to the main hall, there were guards posted on either side of massive double doors. After Alexander nodded they grasped the handles on each door and swung them open simultaneously. I couldn't help but be impressed by the two guards, they were obviously strong warriors, I could see scars crisscrossing their arms. Even a few scars marred their hard faces.

My father and I stepped into the hall, trying to make an entrance. I stood as perfectly straight as I could. I also tried to glide in to the room instead of walking. My hand was placed on my fathers arm and I was hoping we made an imposing pair as well as an impressive one. I desperately wanted things to go well.

At the head of the room sat three men. There was blessedly no one in the hall besides us and them. The eldest man sat in the center of the head table which was placed on a long platform lining the very back of the hall. I knew it made spying on what was going on at the other long tables much easier. Thus allowing the occupants of the head table much more power over others. We were to stand on the main ground while they sat above us. It was an obvious play of power. Reminding us not to cross the man we were speaking to.

All three men were tall, strong, and good looking. I knew the eldest man in the middle was Baron Fairfax and I assumed the other two were his two sons. I realized I was staring and while I didn't lower my face I did drop my gaze demurely to the floor.

"Welcome to my home. I trust your journey was pleasant and un-eventful Lord Winter?" The barons voice was deep but melodic instead of gruff like my fathers.

"Yes my Lord it was both of those. You have fine land all around and it was a pleasure to see as we rode," my father was laying on the praise thick already.

"I am Baron Fairfax as you know. But please call me Arthur. These are my sons. Gregory and Simon." Both of the other men inclined their heads in a kind of sitting bow as they were introduced.

"It is a pleasure to meet you and your sons Lord Arthur. Please call me Ronald. This is my lovely daughter and the most precious possession that I have. Lady Elizabeth Rose Winter." I sank into a deep curtsy as I was introduced. Making sure to not roll my eyes until my head was bent all the way down. My father calling me his possession irked me but I knew that it was meant as a compliment.