Chapter 4

~Colby~

My alarm blared for school the next morning. Not that it woke me up. I'd been awake the entire night. The smell of Jace's cologne was still on my sheets along with puddles from crying all night.

I put on the same clothes I had yesterday and didn't bother with a shower or fixing my hair.

I hobbled down the stairs and out the door in pain because of my ankle and made my way to the bus stop.

Naturally though when I'd like to be left alone Alayna just so happened to be driving by the stop where I was waiting.

"What the hell happened to you?" She asked incredulously while pulling over and rolling the window down.

"Heartache." I replied solemnly.

"Oh my god. You told Jace didn't you?" She asked in complete shock.

"No I didn't tell him." I snapped.

"Geez I'm sorry. Just get in and tell me what happened." She ordered softly.

In response I shrugged my shoulders and shuffled to her car door.

She began driving and I stayed quiet because I wasn't really sure where to start. Then after about three minutes Alayna broke the silence.

"Just tell me what happened. The main thing that started all of this." She spoke gently towards me.

"He kissed me." I stated flatly.

She nearly chocked on her coffee when I said this.

"What the hell?" She asked with an utter look of awe on her face.

"He kissed me." I repeated.

"Yeah I heard." She said rolling her eyes.

"Then he asked if I was Vanessa. I told him not that I'm Colby. And he sorta freaked out. He basically told me it was my fault because I'm gay and that I'm the one who kissed him." I explained.

By the time I had finished the explanation of what happened the previous night there was a new wave of tears and sobs ripping their way to the surface.

I couldn't help it though. They just kept coming and coming as the memory played over a gain in my mind.

"You aren't going to school." She stated blankly.

"I have to." I chocked out through tears and gasps for air mixed with sobs.

"No." Alayna replied.

"Y-yes." I stuttered out.

She gave me a side glance then sighed and ultimately decided it was best just to bring me to school because she knew I wasn't going to back down.

We pulled into the parking lot and I saw Jace and all his jock friends hanging around the entrance.

"You okay?" Alayna asked.

I nodded as another year fell down.

"Alright look at me Colby. You stop that right now. If he sees you crying it'll only make things worse. I know it hurts but you better suck it up just long enough to get inside." The look on her face was one of concern and determination to get me through the day without me dropping the shards of my fractured little heart.

"O-okay." I said taking in a shaky breath and wiping tears away.

"I'm okay now." I stated.

I opened the door and exited the little Nissan Altima that was Alayna's car.