Keith laughed and returned to admiring Amii from Birmingham.

‘Anyway,’ said Michelle. ‘What’re you looking at? Page three?’

Keith closed Amii’s window and returned to the newspaper. ‘No,’ he said, feigning offence. ‘Actually, I’m reading about women’s problems. I’m reading about the G-spot in Dear Deirdre.’ He nodded to the screen. ‘It says here that some women feel it’s the greatest turn-on ever while others hate it. Some feel it’s a pleasurable variation, while others find it irritating.’ He looked up. ‘How’s your G-spot then, Chelle?’

‘How should I know?’

‘Well, who else is gonna know if you don’t?’

‘That’s your job, that is. Does it say where it is?’

Keith read on then looked up with a smile. ‘Yeah.’

She smiled and opened her dressing gown a little at the chest. ‘Fancy having a look for it then do you?’

Melanie’s voice came from inside the apartment, ‘I’m going to school.’

Michelle pulled her gown closed. Keith leaned sideways and called, ‘Not without kissing your old man goodbye you ain’t, young lady.’

Footsteps approached through the kitchen, and then Melanie, clutching the mobile phone they had bought her for her fourteenth birthday, stepped out into the sunshine. She said nothing, moving quickly to her father and planting a kiss on his cheek before turning and heading back the way she had come.

‘Oi!’ said Keith. Melanie stopped in the doorway, her back to him. ‘What was that?’

Melanie turned. ‘A goodbye kiss. That’s what you asked for isn’t it?’

‘A goodbye kiss without saying goodbye is only half the deal, girl. And what about your mother?’

‘What about her?’

‘Don’t she get a kiss?’

Melanie looked at her mother. ‘She didn’t ask for one.’

‘She doesn’t have to,’ said Keith, ‘she’s your mother; she gets one anyway.’

Melanie sighed and walked back to Keith, kissing him again on the cheek and saying, pointedly, ‘Bye Dad.’

‘Much better.’

Melanie looked at Michelle. Michelle met her eyes and raised her finely-plucked eyebrows. Melanie bent and pecked her on the cheek. ‘Bye Mum.’

‘Good girl,’ said Keith to Melanie’s back as she disappeared back into the shadows of the apartment.

‘I’ll get your bean milk later, love,’ Michelle called after her.

‘Thanks, Mum.’

A moment later, they heard the front door bang shut.

‘There, you see?’ said Keith serenely. ‘All it takes is a bit of fatherly guidance.’

Michelle smiled and stroked her neck suggestively. ‘Hmm. I think I might need a bit of fatherly guidance an’ all.’

‘Oh? How can I help you, then?’

‘I can’t seem to find my G-spot.’

Keith grinned and looked back to the computer screen, quickly reading and memorizing the directions. ‘Fortunately for you girl, I happen to know the way to that particular pleasurable variation.’ He got up, his arousal already conspicuous from the front of his shorts.