His cigarette lit, Underwood stepped back. Flinch lit his own cigarette and slipped the lighter back into his pocket. ‘Everything go all right with the car?’ Underwood asked. ‘I didn’t really notice earlier on.’

‘Everything’s fine, sir. It’s lashed securely to the cargo hatch. Not that there’s much chance of it rolling around the deck in this weather.’

‘No indeed. What about the other things? How’s the move going?’

‘All very well, sir. Most of it is, as you know, coming by sea in the next few months. Until then, we’ll have to make do with what’s already in the house.’

‘You mean you’ll have to make do, such things are hardly my concern.’

‘No, sir.’ There was a note of regret in Flinch’s voice and he looked down at his shoes. He noticed a spot of blood on his left toecap and he took out the already-stained handkerchief and bent to wipe it off. He gave the shoe a brief, cursory polish before rising again with an air of complete composure.

‘Don’t worry, Arthur,’ said Underwood, smiling. ‘It’s got everything you could possibly need. You’ve been in touch with señor Hernandez?’

‘Yes, sir. His handwriting is a little cryptic, or perhaps just his turn of phrase, but he reports everything is ready and awaiting your arrival. Other members of the Sect are making themselves very useful in the area. Besides Hernandez in Ronda, we have señor Lago, a notary in Almacena itself, and a retired couple who are going to be helping out around the house and estate.’

‘Good show.’ Underwood took a drag on his cigarette. Then his eyes narrowed as, over Flinch’s shoulder, he noticed a figure in the shadows further down deck. ‘I say, have you noticed anything queer about any of the other passengers?’

Flinch frowned. ‘No sir.’

‘No one asking any questions?’

‘No. Might I ask why, sir?’

Underwood watched as the figure, perhaps sensing he had been seen, receded into the mist. ‘Don’t look now, Arthur, but I think we’re being watched.’

‘Watched, sir?’

‘Yes. Chap about twenty yards behind you, wearing a bowler hat.’

Flinch nodded slowly. ‘I think I know the fellow, sir. I caught his eye once or twice this afternoon.’

‘No contact though?’

‘No, sir. Not a sausage.’

‘Hmmm, I see.’

‘Is he still there, sir?’

‘No, he’s gone.’

Flinch turned to look but there was nothing other than the mist. He reached into his pocket and a second later the blade of his flick-knife snapped open. ‘Shall I ask to see his ticket, my Lord? Perhaps punch it?’

‘That won’t be necessary, Flinch. They’ll be serving dinner soon and I’m sure you’d rather murder a nice steamed steak pudding, hmm?’

‘I’m not overly hungry, sir. I ate a most satisfying luncheon.’

‘Did you, indeed? Well, I’m famished. So, why don’t you toddle off now and get yourself ready for dinner, okay?’

‘But what about the snooper, sir?’

Underwood smiled. ‘Oh, don’t concern yourself with him. I think I might seek him out myself. Perhaps he’d like to join me for dinner?’

Flinch nodded and closed the blade of his knife. ‘Right you are then, sir.’ He bowed slightly before turning and walking off in the direction of his cabin.