Voyage of the Damned

Start from the beginning

"Information. The Titanic is en route from the planet Sto in the Cassavalian Belt. The purpose of the cruise is to experience primitive cultures."

"Can you tell us who thought of the name Titanic?" the Alchemist asked.

"Information. It was chosen as the most famous vessel of the planet Earth."

The Time Lords exchanged wary looks. That was true, at least. "Did they happen to mention why it was famous?" the Alchemist finally asked.

"Information. All designations are chosen by Mister Max Capricorn, president of Max Max Max - "

The Host began twitching, its voice going to different pitches, repeating the word Max over and over. "Ooo, bit of a glitch," the Doctor said, about to pull out his sonic screwdriver.

"It's all right, sir," the steward rushed over with a few men. "We can handle this." One of the men switched the Host off. "Software problem, that's all. Leave it with us, sir. Merry Christmas."

The Alchemist frowned, watching them carry the Host away. "That was odd.

A sudden crash made them look behind them. "For Tov's sake, look where you're going!" an angry man barked at a very embarrassed blonde waitress. "This jacket's a genuine Earth antique!"

"I'm sorry, sir," she whispered, ducking her head and crouching on the ground to pick up the broken glasses.

"You'll be sorry when it comes off your wages, sweetheart," he glared at her. "Staffed by idiots. No wonder Max Capricorn's going down the drain!"

The Alchemist glared at him, then hurried to help the girl. "Careful," she advised, helping her pick up the glass. "There we go."

"Thank you, ma'am," the waitress looked up. "I can manage."

"Who said you couldn't?" the Alchemist smiled at her.

"Hello," the Doctor crouched to pick up the remaining glass. "I'm the Doctor, this is the Alchemist."

"Astrid, sir," she answered. "Astrid Peth."

"Nice to meet you, Astrid Peth," the Doctor grinned. "Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas, sir," she nodded.

"Just Doctor," he made a face. "Not sir."

"And Alchemist, please," the Alchemist giggled. "Not a fan of the ma'am."

"You enjoying the cruise?" Astrid asked, standing back up.

"Suppose so," the Alchemist shrugged. "How about you? Long way from home, Planet Sto."

"Doesn't feel that different," Astrid shook her head. "I spent three years working at the spaceport diner, traveled all the way here, and I'm still waiting on tables."

"No shore leave?" the Doctor frowned.

"We're not allowed. They can't afford the insurance. I just wanted to try it, just once. I used to watch the ships heading out to the stars, and I always dreamt of - " She cut herself off. "It sounds daft," she sighed.

The Doctor smiled in understanding. "You dreamt of another sky. New sun, new air, new life. A whole universe teeming with life. Why stand still when there's all that life out there?"

Astrid brightened. "So you travel a lot?"

"Never really stop," the Alchemist grinned.

"Just for fun," the Doctor shrugged.

"That's usually the plan, anyway."

"Yeah, never quite works."

"Must be rich, though," Astrid looked them over.