C h a p t e r - O n e

Start from the beginning

“Now that I’m getting married, I don’t want you to think that I will forget you or love my husband more than you. He might be my first love but he’ll always be second comparing to you and Michael knows that. I love you Brooke even if I grow old, I’ll always be there for you. I promise.” A tear rolled down her eye.

I sobbed. “I love you too mum and will always be there for you. I’m not feeling any jealousy if that’s what your wondering. I’m happy for a new life. Sure I’ll miss dad, he was a part of us but now we have to move on and you have to be happy. If you’re happy then I’m happy.” I said truthfully. I really wasn’t happy for a new life but I needed to do this for my mum. My dad always talked about miracles. He said they do happen. And now Michael was my mother’s miracle. 

She smiled and wiped her tears while I did the same. “Well then, let’s go to our new life.”

We both got out of the car and walked towards the door. Before my mother could knock, the door opened and a man with brown hair and hazel eyes stepped in front with a dazzling smile. 

Michael. My mother’s high school love. My mother had told me many stories about him and her but she never told me they had been in love. It was after when Michael proposed my mother a year ago that my mother told me about them. They were best friends who fell in love with each other. After school both wanted to head to college and Michael had left college, hoping he would see my mother there.

They never met. When Michael came back to find her, my mother was married off to my father by my grandparents. They both had been heartbroken. My father knew everything and even told my mother she could leave him and go but my mother refused and started a new life with my dad while Michael went off to college. My mother had eventually fallen in love with my father but she never had forgotten her first love. 

I snapped out of it and looked at them as they kissed. It was weird but I knew it will get old some day. I didn’t mind her kissing him, I just never saw her with another man other than my dad. I’m sure he’s watching us down from heaven and is happy for us. Happy for mum.

Michael looked at me and surprisingly pulled me in a warm hug. I didn’t know what to do so I looked at my mother who nodded at me. I sighed and hugged him back. Unknowingly there was some fatherly warmth in Michael and for once it felt good to feel a fathers love. I could never- would never replace my dad but Michael had a fatherly figure you can’t miss. He had a whole new place now. 

He pulled back and cupped my face. “Brooke, I saw you when you were so little. Now you’re all grown up. It’s good to see you sweetheart.”

I didn’t know what to say back. I was overwhelmed by emotions. One side of me wanted to push him away and tell him he can never take my father’s place and the other side wanted to pull him close and tell him to love me like my father did. I choose the latter. For once after so long, I’m getting some fatherly love, I don’t want to push this away. 

I smiled and nodded but I didn’t say anything. It was better.

He grinned. “Well let’s go in then” 

We walked in behind him. The house was even more beautiful inside than out. Wooden floors and clean cream painted walls. It was huge. Everything was sorted out and held elegantly. It all screamed ‘Rich!’

“Lena! Come down quick!” Michael yelled by the stairs. He looked back at us and told us to follow him. He took us in a beautiful TV lounge. The sofas were very comfy. Good thing everything was clean, I love clean rooms as well. 

A girl around my age walked in with a large smile on her face. She was beautiful, blond hair, maybe a shade darker than mine and big hazel eyes like her dad. She wore a small plaid skirt and a tight fitted t-shirt. She must be Lena, my new sister. I was really happy to have a sibling. I always wanted a brother or sister but I was the only one and now I’m glad I have a sister who I could talk to.