Chapter 27

My eyes flittered open as I stretched my body.   The time on the clock told me that I had slept for two hours and it was time I got my lazy butt up. I needed to stay strong for just a little bit longer. I would survive this and then I would find a quiet corner and allow my heart to weep. Until then...

Nix was, as always, sitting at her command center.   "Oh good you are up, about fucking time.   We seem to have a bit of a problem and I think it is time we get shit organized.   Axel, Mac and two other guys will be here in 30.   Get your shit together and don't let him see you hurting.   You did the right thing, the bastard needs to grow the fuck up and realize what a douche he was.   Now make yourself look bad ass, your gear is in that bag."

Chuckling I pulled open the bag to reveal my leather pants, tight white tee, leather vest, black boots and at the bottom was a nylon pouch, which I knew held my knives. Oh how I have missed them. I didn't realize I left them behind until I settled again and noticed they weren't with my belongings.

"You kept it all?"

"Well duh?  I knew I would see your ugly ass again, no point in getting rid of good gear.   Oh and I wanted to show you some of the gadgets I invented from your ideas."

As I dressed I listened as she explained how my paralyzing gas I mistakenly invented actually works, after some tweaking of course.   "That shit is a hit.   I was able to reconfigure the mixture so that it doesn't do permanent damage, the victim drops within seconds of inhaling and the effect lasts about 10-15 minutes.   The CIA went crazy over that shit.   We now have a patent and the government is paying us to manufacture it."

Wait what?

"What do you mean we?" I asked as I strapped on the knives to my thigh.

"Chicka you need to keep up.   You invented it, I just perfected it.   Your name is listed on the patent therefore all the money that comes in is divided equally into two accounts.   I wouldn't screw you over like that.  A woman only needs so many billions."

Stunned I just stood there staring at Nix as she continued to type away on her keyboard like it was no big deal.

"Dammit Nix, what the hell..."

"Because you are a genius and you just don't know it.   I have three of your inventions already patented. The nerve gas, the magnetic cuffs, and my personal favorite the boomerang knife.   The suits have been breathing down my neck for more gadgets.   On top of being smart, talented, beautiful you are now richer than Midas.   After all this shit is over I have a business proposition for you."

The knock at the door interrupted any response I was about to make, that is once I thought of one.   Nix was the only one who knew my love for science.   Over the years I kept boredom at bay with reading anything science related.   Took several science classes on line and attended seminars when I could.  When I met up with Nix, her lab was like a dream come true and spent any free minute I had in there.   Okay I spent majority of my time there. 

Until this moment I didn't realized how much I truly missed it.

"Holy shit what is this place and who the hell are you!"  Axel yelled as he, Mac, Hawk and Tank surveyed the room.   The six monitors were all up and active.   Electronics really weren't my thing so I had no idea what most of this shit did, but Nix knew and that was all that matter.

"Nice outfit sweetheart."  Mac whispered as he kissed my cheek.

Smiling I murmured a thank you as the other guys sat down.

"Okay now that everyone is present, what I am about to say will not leave this room.   My life and Harley's life depend on it."   Well that got their attention.   Spending years in the military Nix had a way of cutting out the bullshit when needed.  She had a way of speaking that gained any ones attention, even four big badass bikers.

"I spent year's serving my country until a small incident took me out of commission.   After my recovery I found out that I possessed certain...abilities...that could still be useful to my government.    When the suits are tied up in red tape and bureaucracy, well that is where I come in.   I quietly go in and take care of the problems they are unable to."

"So you are a mercenary?"  Hawk commented.

"Basically.   Although according to the public I don't exist.    You can't arrest someone who doesn't exist.  Now that is all you need to know about me.   Moving on.   Hunter has set up shop in the next town over."  The guys swore as she pointed to the screen that mapped out his location and all of his men. Surprisingly all four men listened closely as Nix detailed out what she had.

"Okay so this was the problem I was talking about.   Axel I won't beat around the bush.   You have a traitor in your club."

"Bullshit!   My men are loyal you don't know what the fuck you are talking about."   Axel yelled as he jumped up out of his chair. So much for listening.

"Fine be a hard head."  After typing in a few keys she turned the monitor to face the guys.   The image displayed was that directly over the club house.   In the far right side was a green dot.  

"That right there is a cell phone that has had connection with Hunters.   I have been monitoring it since I went live."   Turning back around I watched as she typed in a few more commands.   We all watched as the dot moved outside of the clubhouse.    After a few more clicks the screen's image became clearer.   Nix zoomed in until you could see a man pacing in the backyard speaking on his phone.

"This took place this morning around 6 am.   From cell records the calls started last week so this is a new development."  

At this point all four men were hovering over the screen as they tried to decipher who it was.   The tension was so think in the small room you could almost cut it with one of my knives. 

As the image turned around Nix froze the screen.   Even with the grittiness of the image you could still make out the man's identity.   The four men were seconds away from bolting out of the room until Nix shouted at them to sit the fuck down.  

"Now I know your knee jerk reaction is to go kill the bastard but we can use the rat to our benefit."  

Still seething, Axel nodded his head.   Nix turned back around and after a few more commands voices streamed from the speaker. 

"yeah the bitch is still here, but we might have a problem.   A friend showed up."

"No a woman."

"Yeah I don't think so."

"Okay so the plan stays the same. And I get 2 million when I deliver her?"

"Perfect, then the bitch will be yours by tomorrow."

The recording cut off leaving the room silent.   I knew the men were trying to process the betrayal of a brother but I was more focused on the fact that we only had until tomorrow to come up with a plan.

After a few more minutes Nix finally turned back around and flashed me her signature smirk.

"Okay now that you have calmed down we can move on to the plan."

With fist clenched and shoulders tensed, all four men nodded.  

"Harley, why don't you begin..."