Rescue

Fitz dragged her through the portal. She could sense home, but it wasn't the dingy basement that called to her. As she fell through the monolith, it gripped her sides, pulling her back. The world spun around her and she slipped into unconsciousness.

Her dream was quickly pierced by the shrieking, rending noise of the monolith. She nearly cried as she watched it crumbled apart around her. Jemma couldn't shake the feeling she'd had just lost part of her.  The pain clawed at her, raking her chest and tearing her breath to rags.  couldn't sleep now, she wouldn't. Sleeping is when the demons come to play. Despite this, she felt Fitz's warm embrace surrounding her as she drifted off.

//

The doctor hovered by Jemma's side.  Something was definitely wrong here, but he was no expert on alien planets.  He looked up to see Fitz stirring in his sleep.  The stress of seeing Jemma in a bad state and the poor quality sleep he was getting in that chair was reeking havoc with his sleep patterns.

"Uh has there been any change Doctor Edwards?' He asked, worry the prominent feature of his face.

"None Fitz. She's fine.  And please, call me James. Now go back to sleep"

Fitz nodded wearily, and dozed back off.

"They just don't see it the way I do. They never do."

James's head snapped around to see Jemma.

"The apocalypse isn't about the death, the destruction, the pure carnage."

Her posture suggested lucidity,

"No, that's just the appetizer"

But the childish giggle, the closed eyes and the soft voice said otherwise. 

"The apocalypse is about splitting the veil and drawing in the night."

Those last words were spoken with such malice, befitting of the Jemma he once knew.  Her eyes flew open, revealing pitch black orbs. James blinked. out of shock but by the time he looked back, they were gone.

"Bloody hell, this is above my pay grade. Fitz!" Fitz looked up at him groggily." We need to talk about Jemma..."