XxXXxX

  "You'll be okay?" I asked, kneeling beside the children. "You're sure?"

Margaret almost rolled her eyes. My dad and Mr. Albion had left to discuss matters in the latter's office, so I'd remained with what I considered my charges. Well, really, all I'd been able to do was sit beside them and wait as the police did their jobs, giving reassuring nods when they were called into offices to speak in private. Sini had been called in first, thankfully, and after all the physical evidence was recorded I was finally allowed to heal her. She gave her statements, handed over all her contact information, and had her relatives were contacted, one of whom swung by to pick her up. Levi's issues were...well, more complicated due to both his own history and that of his family, but I vouched for him as best I was able.

All in all, though, they were private matters and I wasn't allowed to listen to what went on behind closed doors—and, more than that, didn't listen out of respect for their privacy and the sensitivity of the issue. I trusted the police to be able to handle it and to do all they could.

Except...

Well, given the circumstances it came as no surprise but Johannes and Margaret had their parent's called in for the investigation. Naturally, stories would need to be taken, evidence gathered, social workers would probably be involved, among who knows what else—I understood it was a complex issue made even more complex by the apparently conflicting claims of the parents. But...it was still worrying, that they were being asked to enter the same room as their parents now. I knew mentally that nothing would happen in a police office and the officer who'd come to speak to Margaret had made it clear she didn't have to face them yet if she didn't want to, but...

"It's nothing," She said confidently, sounding for all the world like she meant it despite the somewhat nervous motions of her fingers. "I ain't scared."

"Do you need me to—" I began to offer before she did roll her eyes.

"Go," She insisted and I rose hesitantly, still carrying the now sleeping puppy.

"I'll ask my Dad and Mr. Albion if I can call later and make sure you're okay," I promised as I shifted Johannes into a more comfortable looking position where he slept beside his sister.

"Whatever," She said, though it almost sounded like a thank you. I sighed quietly and nodded at her before leaving.

I barely made it out of the waiting room before I heard my name.

"Jaune," My Dad smiled. "You done?"

I scratched my head and nodded, if a tad uncertainly. My dad laid a hand on my shoulder and squeezed it reassuringly.

"Don't worry; I'm sure they'll be fine," He said. "You did good, son."

"Mr. Albion told you?" I asked, though it wasn't really a question.

"Rick told me what you did, yeah," He said, bobbing his head. "But you gotta understand—sometimes you have to do the best you can and trust others to do the same. You knew your limits and that's good, so leave this to the VPD, okay?"

"Yeah, it's just..." I struggled to find the words.

"I know," He said, understanding as I knew he would. "As a Hunter, Jaune...the future's always uncertain; you know that as well as people twice your age."

I nodded.

"But we face it, even if it looks bleak and it seems hard to find the light," He continued. "We face the unknown, fight the monsters, and risk our lives; that's what being a Hunter means. But we do it all for the sake of others, to protect people and try to create a brighter future for them. Facing danger and uncertainty for that...how could we not? When it's something for us to bear in place of others, we'll face danger proudly. And yet...sometimes it's not. Sometimes we can't protect them—and even when we can, we can't protect them forever. You can spend a month guarding a village and slay any Grimm that comes close, but what will happen after you leave them behind and go protect someplace else?"

"There's no way of knowing," I said quietly.

He nodded.

"So we do the only thing we can," My father said. "We do everything we can. We fight hard and we protect them with our lives and work together and we hold onto hope even when it's hard. And it can get very hard, son; no matter what anyone says, it's not easy to believe, much less to trust people you don't even know with the lives of people you do."

He nodded back in the direction of the children and at the police that must have been with them now.

"But even if we don't know each other, so long as we share the same goals and hopes and dreams, that's enough. No matter where we come from or what brought us together, whether we're Hunters or Soldiers or Policemen, we fight to protect people. When you grow up and have to fight, when lives are on the line and you stand beside people you barely know, remember that it doesn't matter how they got here, only why they came. And that applies here, too. You're worried about them, about their parents and their futures and it's scarier than facing danger yourself because you can protect yourself and they can't. But you brought them to the police for a reason and you can trust them to handle things, right? Being a Huntsman means you've gotta be strong, but it doesn't mean you have to be able to do everything yourself. That's why we work in teams."

I nodded but stayed silent for a minute.

"Is that why you spoke to Mr. Albion?" I asked, looking at him closely. "Because you want me to work with them? I...well, I don't mind, but..."

I didn't mention that I'd worked with Blake and Adam, because I was pretty sure I didn't have to. My Dad's lips twitched.

"Nah, that's something different," He said before giving me a meaningful glance. "Though getting some experience working with the police and making friends wouldn't hurt. Neither would some experience with this kind of business."

I nodded, understanding.

"But I'm not too worried about you in that regard," He said, ruffling my hair. "It's just important for us all to be reminded now and then—it's okay to worry, but it's okay to have faith, too. For those of us who are powerful especially, it can be hard to remember that just because you can stand alone doesn't mean you have to. Even if we have gotten told a thousand times already, God."

I chuckled a little at that, smiling up at my old man.

"Not an issue for me," I said. "I know I've got a long, long way to go."

"Maybe, kid," He shrugged at me, lips twitching. "But you'll get there eventually. Just remember you don't have to protect everyone by yourself. "

I nodded and we were both silent for a minute as we walked through the darkened streets.

"I want to do more than just protect people," I said suddenly. "Because I know I can't be everywhere, can't save everyone. I know nothing I do will ever truly change that fact, too. But...if they'll be safe only because I'm there and be in danger if I'm gone, that's stupid, isn't it? I know I'll be gone eventually, so...I want to help keep them safe, even if I'm gone. That's why..."

He chuckled and put a hand on my head without ruffling it.

"I know. But that's gonna be a lot of work, even when you do get it cheap enough and it won't fix anywhere close to everything. And just getting that far...you told me how hard it would be." He said seriously before suddenly pulling me close with an arm. I had to adjust the dog in my arms to keep him from being squished between us and he let out a chuffing breath in his sleep. "Well, but...I know you'll do it eventually, Jaune, even if it is difficult."

I huffed a bit from beneath his arm, though I wasn't really upset.

"Of course, Dad," I asked. "I already know I can do it, so why would I ever give up?"

He laughed, messing with my hair again.

"That's the spirit," He said. "Anyway, I talked to Rick and...hm. Am I getting you to help him or him to help you?"

He seemed to muse over that for a moment before shrugging with a smile.

"Well, I arranged for you two to help each other, how about that?" He asked. "You should be able to learn a fair bit from him; fighting's not really his specialty, but there's a reason he was put in charge of so much stuff. I was gonna talk to him eventually but since you were here anyway...Well, you're old enough for some of the work and he can pull a few strings. It'll get you some experience or, you know, explain a few things."

I nodded.

"Although," He mused. "It'll have to wait until after your Mother's done with you. And Mistral, of course. And I said I'd bring you along on a mission or two. Your mother will probably think of something else for you to do, too...wow, I guess you're pretty busy, huh, Jaune?"

"You say it as if it had nothing to do with you..." I shook my head but didn't both trying to fight the smile. "It's fine, though."

I let the silence return for a moment before sighing deeply.

"So," I said at last. "How are we gonna explain the dog to mom?"

"I figured you'd just awaken its Aura, bring it home, and not even acknowledge that anything was different," My dad replied like it was nothing. "They say it's better to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission, right? Personally, I never saw a lot of point in apologizing unless you made things worse, though. And really, if there were explosives wired throughout the entire building, odds were it was gonna end up exploding eventually, anyway."

I looked at him for a long moment and then sighed again.

That explained a few things, but...

"Yeah, okay," I said, looking down at the sleeping bundle in my arms.

Just A Dog
LV 1
?

I laid a hand on the dog's head and closed my eyes, reaching out to the light trapped within him with now long-since practiced ease. I muttered the words under my breath but barely heard them as light flared and burst forth, shining trails outlining a weakened mortal form and feeding it power. It shone brightly beside my own and felt...different from a humans, more tactile in a way I wasn't entirely sure how to describe. But I drew myself away from it, drawing a deep breath as I looked at the somewhat startled looking pooch, who let out tiny squeaking barks as his head swiveled and he looked around. I scratched him behind the ears to calm him down and he immediately quieted.

I gave him another once over.

Mystic Dog
LV 1
?

A skill has been created through a special action! Through close bonds and a steady hand, the skill 'Beast Tamer' has been created!

"Not bad," My dad said. "By the way...does he have a name?"

XxXXxX