Thank God Dean drives fast. I don't wait for him to get out of the car. Before he even turns off the engine, I'm out, smoothing by dress and adjusting the straps of my bag. People are miling around in the school car park, some people shouting and laughing but most heading towards the open doors of Valentine's High School.

From his car, Dean clears his throat loudly. I spin around and look at him. He has his arms folded over his chest and that stupid half amused look on his face. I know exactly what that means. Again,I convince myself that I wanted the car ride over my piece of mind.

"Thanks." I say, through gritted teeth. Dean raises an eyebrow. I fight the urge to roll my eyes and instead I give him my sweetest smile.

"Better."

"Whatever." I say, but under my breath.

I leave him behind and walk into school. Macey is waiting for me by my locker, her dark brown hair bone straight as always. She's wearing her favorite ripped jeans and combat boots because she's that kind of girl. Macey doesn't waste anytime asking about winter break because we basically saw each other everyday.

"So... Cole looks cute today." She says. My mixture of genes didn't spare me from the blushing trait. I feel my cheeks growing pink just by hearing his name. I have the biggest crush on Cole Martini. It isn't my fault. He has the most amazing smile you've ever seen, the brightest green eyes, the cutest expressions. But he doesn't really say much to me but I think it's because he's shy.

Ah, shy boys.

"Tell me something I don't know." I say, shoving my history book and my head into my locker so Macey doesn't notice my furious blushing. Time to change the topic. "By the way," I say, "Where's Gat?"

"Somewhere." Macey says with a shrug. I have to stop and stare at her. She shrugs again and fumbles with the silver chain around her neck (that Gat gave her). Gat(wick) is her boyfriend and before winter break they were pretty much inseparable. Hmmm.

"Anything you're not telling me?" I say.

"Nope."

I don't push it. The bell rings and we head towards the auditorium. The hallways are already covered with pink, red and white balloons and the way things are going, the boys will have popped all before the end of the day and those jumpy girls in the short floral skirts will be hoarse from all their screaming.

The auditorium is packed. The seniors get to sit at the front today, which is only because we're in charge of the whole Valentine's thing. I spot Cole immediately. He does look extra cute today.

"Over here." I tell Macey and we slide into the seats in front of him and his friends. They actually go quiet so I take the opportunity to turn and give him a coy smile. It always works. He smiles back and blushes.

I honestly don't get it. If he likes me, then why the hell doesn't he ever talk to me? I mean, this was our last year, we were running out of time.

On stage, Ms Fitz, our principal, taps the mic and clears her throat to get our attention. It doesn't really work. People lower their voices but, they're still talking. I watch Dean walk in late with his friends. Just about every girl's eyes flick over to him, including mine because he just has this way of making you look at him. It's kind of annoying.

"Students." Ms Fitz starts. But it actually takes one look from our VP to get everyone to finally shut up. Ms Justin is a lot scarier than Ms Fitz and clearly more respected.

"Students." Ms Fitz says again, "Welcome back to school." The entire student body groans and so do a few teachers. Ms Fitz talks about a safe vacation and expectations for the term and whatever, but no one's listening. Especially not Dean. He puts his arm around the girl next to him, Gina, and says something to make her laugh. He's in the FRONT ROW but of course, no one notices that he's not paying attention. Then again, neither am I.

Apparently Ms Fitz is talking about Valentine's Week, yeah week, because Macey nudges me and whispers. "We're still in January, for God's sake."

"I know right?" I say, but I'm suddenly interested in what Ms Fitz is saying.

"Because of the conflict that we've had the last few years with a committee, we've decided to randomly select two students to plan the Valentine's Day dance this year." she says.

I guess that's a good idea. Last year Ellie broke up with her boyfriend because they couldn't agree on what the theme could be. It was hilariously ironic. Two science teachers carry two pink baskets onto the stage. "We'll pick a boy and a girl." Ms Fitz continues. Some girls are on the edge of their seats-- and so are some guys-- but Macey and I lean back in our chairs. Things like that, I mean major school responsibilities, weren't our thing.

Ms Fitz's hand hovers over the first basket. "Before I pick, I want to make it clear that these names are final and the students chosen are expected to put all their effort into making this year's Valentine's Week the best ever."

Someone claps. Someone coughs. I guess by the best ever, Ms Fitz means no fights and less disasters.

"OK." says Ms Fitz, "the first planner is..." she pulls a paper from the basket. Someone does a drum roll. Ms Justin gives them the evil eye. "Pinkette. Dean Pinkette."

I laugh, maybe even more than Dean's friends who shake his shoulders and make a fuss. Dean looks stunned but he walks onto the stage and faces the rest of the school. He keeps his hands in front of him, playing coy. Now I definitely won't shut up in Dean's car. I'm never going to give him a break.

"And working with Mr Pinkette is..." The flimsy piece falls to the floor and Ms Fitz stoops to pick it up.

"How much do you want to bet that it'll be Gina?" I say to Macey.

"Nah." she says, "that's just too obvious."

 More than obvious. Bordering on complete cliche-ness, if that's a word. The popular guy and the popular girl (who aren't dating but everyone thinks they are), plan the school's Valentine's Week and fall in love. THE END.

Ugh.

I shake out of my daydream. On the stage, Dean is looking directly at me. Not even blinking. In fact, so is everyone on stage and some people in the row in front of me. I make a face that says What?, but it doesn't make a difference.

"Valerie?" Ms Fitz says, apparently for the second time. Surely she meant the other Valerie. Valerie Mason, the kind of girl who wore floral skirts and was into that kind of thing. But no. "Valerie Blythe, please come to the stage."

I get up and smooth my dress and walk up to the stage. Ms Fitz says, "These students are the organizers of this year's Valentine's Week. Please applaud."

There's a thunderous applause as I stand by Dean. I have a feeling that people are clapping because they're just glad their names weren't chosen.

"Looks like we'll be doing a lot of talking after all." Dean whispers with a half annoyed, half amused face. I can't believe this is even happening. I mean, this, this was waaayy too obvious. From my spot on the stage I see Cole staring. I also see Macey laughing and shaking her head. She knows all about my Dean situation.

"Don't remind me Pinkette." I say. He slides his hand around my waist and I put my hand on his shoulder. We flash perfect smiles at the camera, almost like we weren't enemies. Kinda. Perfect smiles because we're good at pretending.