"Go ahead, but make it fast. I got work to be getting done Miss Bradshaw." Ellie nodded and Brody pointed down the boardwalk to the post office. She turned on her heels and walked quickly away from him. He was unlike any man she'd ever met. She'd never met a man she couldn't make swoon by batting her lashes. She didn't like it and she didn't like him. Good thing she didn't have to make him fall in love with her because the very sight of the man scared her and made her blood run cold. That scar. Those 'killer' eyes. Her dream man was a little softer than that. Gentler. The fact that Brody was a sheriff scared the hell out of her as well. What had Otis been thinking?

"I'd like to send a wire to San Antonio." she said with a charming smile to the small, red haired man inside the post office.

"Y..Yes M..m..Ma'am." he replied, with an obvious stutter. "Just w..write down w..what you want it to s...say and I'll t..take care of it."

"Thank you very much sir." she replied with an innocent bat of her lashes and the man blushed deep red. She took the pencil he was holding out for her and a piece of paper and quickly wrote a note for Otis.

I made it safe and sound. I am going home with Sheriff Brody Atkinson and his family. I will write you again when I get settled in. I've never lived with a law man before. There should be lots of adventures. She signed it Miss Alice Bradshaw and after giving him Otis's name and paying for the wire she left with a tiny wave of her gloved hand that had the postmaster blushing and stuttering worse than when she had arrived.

She was determined to stay in the charming, innocent, slightly dim minded young woman persona she'd adopted with her new name, even though it didn't seem to be working with Brody. Oh well she didn't have to make him like her. She'd just work on the wife and earn her trust.

"Ready now?" Brody asked impatiently as she walked up to the wagon.

"Yes sir." she replied sweetly as she pushed her glasses up. Brody nodded and jumped up in the wagon.

"Come on then. Elizabeth's been chomping at the bit to meet you and so have the girls." Ellie looked up at him and then at the wagon. Wasn't he going to help her?

"I could use some help." she said, knowing that there was no way she could climb up into that wagon in this stiff dress and corset. Brody grumbled under his breath and jumped to the ground. She noticed a slight limp in his left leg as he came around to where she was standing and then she nearly screamed when he grabbed her around the waist and quite literally threw her up into the wagon. He walked to the other side and jumped in while she was still trying to compose herself.

"Now are we ready?" he asked.

"Yes sir." she replied sounding very much like a small child talking to her father and then she made a mental note to punch Otis right in his rotten teeth the next time she saw him.

888

By the time the ranch came into view, Brody was convinced that women were indeed only good for those three things he'd always believed. Cooking, sex and complaining. Especially complaining. This woman had complained about the heat, the sun, the dust, the sweat, the smell of the horses.... Brody sent up a silent prayer of thanks that God had given him the one exception to that rule with Elizabeth.

"This is the house you'll be staying at." Brody said as they pulled to a stop in front of the large main house. "My wife and I live in another house about ten minutes away."

"I was under the impression that I would be living with your wife and you so that I could help with your children. Though I must admit that you do not look old enough to have thirteen year old children."