First Day on the Job

Come on in Will!" Hunter yelled to me. "The water's great!"

I think I'm good," I waved off his offer as I sat in a nearby log watching my friends have a good time. I sat by myself for a while, until I saw a familiar face appear next to me. "Hey Bella," I said quietly.

"Hey Jay," she replied as she sat on the log. "Why aren't you with the others?"

"I don't feel like going swimming," I said with a sigh.

"You never swim anymore. From what the others tell me, before I came here you used to swim every chance you got."

"Let's just say something huge happened between me and water," I explained. "Ever since then, I vowed to never let myself near water again."

"That sounds pretty serious," Bella inquired. "But you can tell me about it. I won't judge you."

"I know I usually tell you everything Bells, but I just gotta keep this to myself."

"I understand," she nodded. We then both looked out to the lake and saw Alex and Allie together. They had happiness painted on their faces.

I chuckled a bit. "I swear, those two are gonna be married one day."

"I know right," Bella laughed. "It's obvious that they like each other."

"I just want them to start going out already. It's actually starting to get annoying."

"They will, in time."

"I sure hope so," I sighed. A smirk suddenly appeared on my face. "Do you remember when we first met?"

Bella laughed. "How could I forget? You bulldozed me to the ground trying to catch a frisbee!"

"Hey, you should've seen me coming!" I defended with a chuckle.

"Yeah, yeah," Bella said. "Of course you blame me!" she playfully punched my shoulder.

I then rested my arm on her shoulder. "Hey, look on the bright side. If I didn't run into you, we would've never become friends."

I guess you're right," she smiled. "You were my first friend here anyway."

"And now we're best friends," I added. "Heck, I even let you call me Jason. I never let anyone call me by my middle name, not even my family, so you should feel lucky!" I laughed.

"Oh yes, I'm so lucky," Bella said with sarcasm.

"Hey, you better watch yourself Hartley," I said calling Bella by her last name.

"Or what?" she asked.

"I'll bulldoze you again!" I smirked. We both then burst out into laughter and continued to watch the others from our log.

My eyes slowly opened. It was all a dream. Actually, it wasn't just a dream, it was a memory. It was back when I was fourteen. I don't know why I had that dream. I guess I just miss Bella. And before you guys get the wrong idea, Bella and I were only friends. I just wonder where she is now.

I suddenly remembered that today was my first day working at the marine park. I hopped off my bed and ran to the bathroom. I quickly brushed my teeth. I then threw on my uniform that my mom hung up on the door. After I made sure that everything was in order, I ran downstairs. Before I made my way out the door, my mom stopped me. "Good luck on your first day!" she said cheerfully.

"Thanks Mom," I smiled. Suddenly, my mom clutched her stomach in pain. "Are you okay Mom?" I asked worriedly. After a brief pause, she composed herself. "I'm just fine," she shrugged. "No need to worry."