The Right Girl

You lugged the bulging suitcase full of books across the uneven ground and wondered how far the cabin was from the beach. You couldn't believe you had fallen in love with a guy who lived in the bush. He would've been helping you carry your suitcase, but his hands were already full carrying the huge box that carried all your favorite books, your favorite reading pillow and your collapsible bookshelf. Really, just the essentials you needed for spending a week with Bear and his family in the bush.

"Just a little bit further." You could hear Bear call out from in front of you. But even carrying the heavy load, he was so far ahead of you it was taking all your strength to keep up.
"Not a problem." You tugged on the heavy suitcase and peered further down the path.

You had no idea how much furher it was to the cabin, but you were ready for a break. Yanking down on the metal handle of the suitcase, you pushed it down into the slot and propped the case upright. Plopping your behind down on the sturdy suitcase, you crossed your feet at the ankles and sighed. Bear would eventually notice you weren't right behind him and come back for you. So you weren't too worried.

It was a beautiful summer day and you looked up into the trees, quoting out loud a line by one of your favorite authors, Ralph Waldo Emerson. "The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn."

"Those aren't oak trees, Sweetie." Bear called out from further down the path. "They're cedar trees. Now pick up the pace!"
"Ha Ha." You pretended to laugh. But when you suddenly saw something moving in the bushes to your left, you decided you had better stay a little closer to Bear.

Coming into the clearing you could finally see the main cabin. It was larger than you expected and the camp looked a lot more "civilized" than Bear had described it. You still were a bit anxious about having to use the outhouse, but Bear had assured you that his mom and sisters used it all the time and nothing had bit them on the butt yet.

"We have arrived!"

Bear climbed the steps to the main cabin and kicked the door open with his boot. Dropping the heavy box on the wooden floor, he hurried back down the stairs to help you with your suitcase.

"We'll just drop these under the stairs where I sleep and then I'll take you on a tour of Brown Town."

He turned and gave you the smile that was the first thing you thought of every morning and the last thing you thought of every night. Seeing that no one from his family was in the cabin, Bear grabbed you in tight hug and gave you a soft sweet kiss."More of that later." He promised and pressing his hand to the small of your back he led you back outside.

Wandering through the campsite, you trotted along behind Bear, hoping he would eventually run out of steam and sit down. The plotline of the book you had just started reading was burning in your brain and you were hoping to get back to it soon. You smiled and nodded as you met the entire family and prayed that you would remember everyone's name. They were all so kind and very welcoming to you. But their questions all seemed to center on the fact that you didn't know anything about living in the bush and when you admitted to his mother that you didn't really like the outdoors that much, she stared back at you with a stunned look on her face.

"Um..." You started to back up as she leaned forward with a very confused expression on her face. Bumping into Bear, you couldn't back up any further. When you looked back at him, he had a huge smile on his face and he leaned his head close to yours to whisper to you.

"Tell her your favorite thing to do, Sweetie."
"Um..." You stole a look back at Bear and tossed a silent threat at him with your narrowed eyes. "Well...I love to read and I would be perfectly happy sitting inside next to a warm fire with a good book and a cup of hot tea."

As Bear's mom looked from you to Bear and then back to you, you saw her start to smile.
"Do you know how to climb trees? Bear's mom asked.
"No." Your voice was barely a whisper.

What was the deal with these people and climbing trees? That was all Bear had talked about on your first date. It's not like you couldn't climb a tree. But why would you need to do that unless something bigger than you was chasing you?

"Do you like to start fires?" She asked with a questioning rise of her eyebrows.
"Yes!" Smiling proudly, you whipped your neon pink cigarette lighter out of your vest pocket. "And I brought candles so I can read after dark!"

Pressing her lips together to keep from laughing, Bear's mom opened her arms and captured your shoulders in a soft lavender-scented hug.

"We are so glad you're here. If there is anything I can do to help you while you're visiting, please let me know."

You finally were able to steal a moment alone with Bear and you led him to the base of a large cedar tree. Bear slipped his arms out of his red hoodie jacket and draped the jacket on a short branch protruding from the tree. The black tank top he was wearing exposed all of his muscled shoulders and enough of his tight chest to make you instinctively reach for him and lean your body against his.

"Solomon, do you really think we can make this work?"

After seeing how much he loved to be outdoors with the ocean and the trees, your concerns about your relationship began to grow. You hadn't really thought about it before since your time until now had been spent at your place in town. He had been perfectly content to be with you as you read your books, listened to music and watched movies together. But now, seeing the absolute delight on his face as he ran through the damp forest, you knew this was his joy. And you had to know if he still saw a future with you and your books.

"Yes." He pressed his body against you and leaned his forehead against yours. "You have to know that I love you." The smell of pine wafted from his hair and you pulled a lock of it to your nose and sniffed.
"I do know that." You answered honestly. "But we love such different things."
"We love each other. That's enough." Bear had always said he wanted an extreme girl but he knew from the moment you met that you were the total opposite of that.
"I can't be the extreme girl you want me to be."

As you said the words you recognized the choice you were asking him to make. And you knew that if he really wanted to have the type of girl who would join him in all his outdoor adventures, you would lose him. But you loved him deeply. And you would rather lose him than keep him if he wasn't happy with you. As you waited for his next words, you ran your hands through his wavy hair, committing the feel of it to your memory.

"You are the girl I want you to be." His words were so soft and you shut your eyes tightly with relief.
"Are you sure, Bear?"
"You are the girl I want. When I start fires or climb trees, I will be perfectly happy to look over and see you there, watching me and loving me." He squeezed you closer to him, if it was even possible.
"And you are exactly the man I want." And you pressed your lips to his and felt his heart pounding against yours.

Later that evening, as you sat on the ground beneath the tall tree, you lifted your new book to your nose and sniffed. From high above you in the tree, Bear lifted the cedar branch to his nose and sniffed.

"Are you having a good time, Sweetie?" He called down to you.

"Yes, Bear! I'm having a wonderful time." You waved up at Bear, hugged the book to your chest and smiled.