Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

"Is that why you feel the way you feel right now? Because you think no one deserve your trust?" With my words, he comes back to life from a long drift. His eyes back to its normal, the scary blue ocean that bears the rack of suffrage inside. This time, when I look at his eyes, they are covering themselves in a big thick blanket of denial.

I want to know, maybe even need to know. What happened to him? Why did he leave? Where did he go? Why is he the way he is? How did he become this man? Who is C? Who is Amelia to him really?

The questions march in my mind like impatient soldiers ready to shoot. The curiosity eats me and yet Andrew decides to give me the silence treatment. I mean, I don't blame him, who am I, after all, to judge his secrets and his past? But his life doesn't sound normal, that I can tell from those pained blue light turquoise.

"Laura, what are you doing? This is not me; I'm not a man to tell a woman about his past and life. What's happening to me?"

"You're not the only one in torment in here; I can ask the same question, what are you doing to me? Do you think it's easy for me to know you know about my past? Nobody has ever tried to know my secrets yet you go ahead, put me under investigation and find my secrets. There is always a way for that. That's called asking."

That's when I realize the fire inside me, boiling the anger to melted flames. I am angry; mad actually, at him for digging his nose in my business while I had no idea. Let it be rich or not, he had no rights to do that, the bottom of the line. Yet, the control freak he is, he goes and comes back with easy information that even I couldn't find any. I'm mad because he knows everything and I can't find a thing about him, yet he goes with this 'what are you doing to me?'

"I needed to know about you, because... because I was going to trust you into this contract." The way he sounds makes me hate the word 'contract' forever.

"So what? I have no right to know about you?"

"What do you want to know? I had the craziest life anyone could have, I've done things, which I can't take them back. I am full of flaws and mistakes, things that if I tell you what happened in my life, you will find yourself running for the hills, I'm not a man you would think I am."

Deep down in his words, I can see how broken he is, and how bad he feels for himself. Yet his answer leaves me thirsty for more, what mistakes are they? Why would I run if I know about them? Are they that deleterious and harmful that it would freak me out? The curiosity yet again gets the best of me.

"What mistakes? Tell me, I want to know." I demand him, plead him.

The song in the background changes to something unfamiliar that I can't recognize the song anymore. Frankly, I don't care anymore; I'm focused on him, on this man before me. My eyes don't leave his eyes for a second, nor do his.

"I can't, I'm sorry, but I don't want to lose you, maybe someday when I'm ready to talk about it, I will tell you. But know this Laura, I'm a bag of flaws, one day or another I'm going to explode and I'm going to burn you, you're going to run away from me," his threat comes back again, sending a shiver through my spine.

"I'm already burning in your flames of seduction, Andrew," once again I reply the same.

Our dance ends with Andrew pulling me closer to him and planting a small kiss on my lips before leading me back to my seat behind the table. He disappears into the kitchen to bring our main course.

"You and Pamela did a great job," Andrew places the plates before us. The lasagna has a great smell of tomato sauce and the fresh baked lasagna dough. I would be lying if I say the mess we made actually is not a mess, rather, is a five-star restaurant food that you should probably pay hundreds for it.