The Truth

Jacks POV

I fumble for words. "I-I was just spacing off!" I fold my arms across my chest, more for comfort than appearance. I hear his voice coming from the left. "I don't think that's it. Jack, what's wrong with you?"

I spin around to face his direction. "Nothing's wrong with me!" I snap. I hear his voice now behind me. "Bullshit." I turn to face his voice only for him to speak up on my right. "I'm over here Jack."

My face flushed red in anger. Tears of frustration prick my eyes. "Stop picking on me!" I feel his breath on my neck and I jump away. "Leave me alone! You're like a fucking ghost, you're disappearing all the time!"

His voice has again shifted. "I'm always right here Jack. I don't magically disappear. Now tell me what's up with you."

"No."

"Jack, tell me."

"NO!"

"Jack-"

My anger explodes. "WHY THE FUCK DO YOU WANT TO KNOW, HUH? SO YOU CAN PICK ON ME? SO YOU HAVE A REASON TO KICK AND HIT AND PUSH ME AROUND?!"

His voice sounds bewildered. "What? Jack, no, why would I-?" Hot tears waterfall down my face as I interrupt him.

"BECAUSE EVERYONE DOES! EVERYONE THINKS ITS FUNNY TO PUNCH THE BLIND KID, TO MAKE HIM FEEL HELPLESS AND ALONE, TO MAKE HIM H-HURT AND..." I can't finish my sentence, my voice breaking as I fall to my knees, hugging myself. I can't stop my tears.

I remember earlier. What does it matter if they know I'm blind? I'm already worthless, I'm already being beaten up. I'm pathetic despite hiding my biggest flaw.

"Y-you're... Blind..." I hear Mark speak up, not having moved from his most recent place. I pull my knees to my chest and bury my face into them. "Yeah. D-do whatever the hell ya want.... I don't c-care anymore..."

It's silent for a while as I try to stop crying. I feel a touch on my shoulder and I flinch. I hear his voice again, soothing. "Jack, I'm not going to hurt you. I promise I'm not going to hurt you."

I lift my head up from my knees, for once my eyes not focusing on anything since they can't find a target. I feel his hand touch my shoulder again and I don't say anything, only my hiccups escaping.

Before I knew it I was pulled into a hug. It felt so warm and... So safe. It's been a long time since I've ever felt so safe. I relax into his touch and hug him back. I hold tightly to him, my tears wetting his shirt.

His rubs my back in a calming way. "Shh, it's okay. It's okay Jack, I'm not gonna hurt you." After crying in his arms for a while, I finally calm down. I let out a huge sigh and pull away from the hug.

"I-I'm sorry, your shirts probably a mess now." He laughs at what I say. "I think that's the least of our problems right now." I feel his hands hold my face and his thumbs wipe away my tears. I smile at his gesture, looking where I'm guessing his face is.

"I've never met someone like you. I've never had a problem hiding my blindness. But, you're practically invisible. You don't make any noise at all. How do you do that? Everyone is so noisy, how do you manage to be unheard?"

I focusing the silence that surrounds us, trying to find sound from him. I hear light breathing, very faint friction of clothing moving, a soft ruffle of hair. He did make sound. It's just so quiet, I can never hear it over everyone else.

"I don't know. I'm sorry to have bothered you like that. I didn't realize..." I smile at him. "It's fine. I mean, I wasn't beat up, so this encounter took a better turn than I expected!" He chuckles which makes me feel warm inside.