A Stranger's Kiss

Start from the beginning

                It was totally a lie about the diner, I just didn’t want to keep talking to Sarah, and thinking about how much I miss her already. It would kill me even before I arrived to my new town.

              “Yeah, I suppose that’s okay. I’m going to miss you so so so much Zoe. Please don’t forget me.”

                I could hear the tears coming from the other side of the phone.

              “Sarah, I promise I will never, ever forget you. I’ll talk to you soon love.”

             “Bye Zoe,”

             “Bye Sar,”

                I hung up my phone, and I could feel the hot tears forming on the rims my eyes but, I had to be strong, so I used the back of my hand to wipe off the tears away from my eyes. I looked over at Rebecca, my thirteen year old sister who was falling asleep on mom’s shoulder at this very moment. My mom didn’t even realize the warm drool on her shoulder because she was too busy listening to her iPod.

                I rested my head on the window, feeling the warm breeze brush though my hair, as we passed wide open fields, leaving behind the city I knew so well. I was leaving behind my handful of friends, my psychotic ex-boyfriend, my relatives, and my daddy.

                 My father, I hadn’t thought of him in awhile. He had died three and a half years ago in a construction accident. I’ve honestly never been the same since. Maybe that was the reason why I began to fight. People would make stupid comments about my father—my daddy, like he never existed. They talked about him like he didn’t deserve to live. My dad was a good guy, he supported our family and he made my mother happy. We always made promises that we’d have this luxurious life someday. Dad loved Rebecca and I so much. After he died, I swore to myself that I’d always take care of mom and Rebecca. I was no longer a teenager; I was now a care taker. I’d do anything for them—my mom and sis.

                I soon fell into a dreamless sleep as my mind mused over my past life. Then, I suddenly woke when the van came to an abrupt stop.

               “What the—?!” I cried, when my head banged against the dirty window. My slobber was painted delicately all over myself.

              “Sorry baby, but Rebecca needed to use the restroom, and I have to fill up the truck. Do you think you can drive an hour so I can sleep Zoe?” Mom smiled, her bronze hair covered her scars on her face.

              “Couldn’t you of just shoved me awake?” I asked, quite annoyed with my rude awakening.

               “I tried, you sleep like a rock… just like your…”

                Your father. Yes mom, you’ve said that about five god zillion times.

              “Yes ma, I’ll drive. Is Becca in the bathroom?” I asked, yawning.

               “Yea… she wasn’t feeling well. You know her and that damn car sickness…”

                I nodded feeling for my little sister. I got out and stretched, checking my phone.

               It was almost one in the afternoon. Crap, we’ve been driving for six hours straight. No wonder mom wants to sleep. She should have woken me up sooner so she could nap. She’s so stubborn. But then again, I did have that trait of hers too.