•13•

Nicki's POV

     I rushed over to her laying on the floor unconscious. I shook her but she didn't move. Tears ran down my face as I searched for my phone. I found it and dialed 911.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"My friend...my friend Candi. She's laying o-on the floor unconscious." I struggled to say.

"M'am, what's your address?" She asked.

"1280 Jameson Road." I said.

"The ambulance will be there as soon as possible m'am." The woman said.

     I hung up and prayed over Candi as I waited for the ambulance to come.

     I heard the ambulance come a few minutes later and I ran downstairs to open the door. The police came in a few seconds after and asked me some questions before I was driving behind the ambulance.

     They took Candi in and I was about to walk in with them until they stopped me. "Sorry, m'am. You can't go in." The nurse said. I scoffed. "Please open the door. This is serious." I said.

     "I'm serious too m'am. We can't let anybody back there until we figure out what's wrong with her." She said. I rolled my eyes. "Look, when can you let me back there?" I asked, a little fed up with her nit letting me be able to see Candi.

     She waved me over to the front desk and I walked over there. "What is your relation to her?" She asked. "I'm her sister." I said. She scrunched up her face. "You two don't look like." She said. "Oh my gosh! Look, you not 'bout to do no full investigation on me! I'm her sister so just let me know when the hell I can see her." I said. I walked away and sat down in the waiting area.

     I decided to text everybody that was close to Candi and tell them what happened. In the next hour, Candi's mom, sister, Thembi, and her nephew, Chris, were there. About 2 hours later, a nurse came out.

"Family of Candice-" she started to say. I cut her off. "Me. Whats wrong with her, is she okay?" I asked. Thembi came up behind me with Candi's mom. "She is okay. Though there is one major thing wrong with her. I'll let her tell you what happen, but the effect of what happened has caused swelling on her head in the area that may effect her memory." He said. I couldn't speak. "We don't know how much it's affected her memory yet. It could be from birth or it could not have affected her at all." He said.

"Can we see her?" I asked. "Yes, room 413." He said. I went back over to the chairs to get my phone and purse and things and then made my way to her room.

When I got there, she was laying in her bed. She looked up as I walked in. "Hi." She said. "Hey Candice." I said, trying to keep it simple since she might've had memory loss. "Do you remember me?" I asked, really hoping she did. "Duh, Nicki." She said. Her mom walked in. "Oh my God! Candice honey! Are you okay?" She asked, running over to her. Candi scrunched up her face. "Who are you?" She asked.

I gasped. Her mom started tearing up. "Nicki, did she remember you?" She asked me. A tear threatened to fall from my face to the fact that Candi didn't remember her mom. "Um, yes." I said, wiping my eye. She sat down in a chair and started crying. "I can't. I-... I gotta go. Try to get her to remember Nicki." She said. She looked like she was about to break down, but she didn't want to in front of me.

She left and Candi looked at me. "What was all that about?" She asked. I shook my head. "Nothing. Candi, do you remember Thembi?" I asked. "Yeah, why do people keep asking me if I remember stuff?" She asked. I sighed. "Because whatever happened to you, there was swelling in the part of your brain that effects your memory..." I said.