I'm Fine. // Makoto x Reader

; warning ; may be triggering for some people ;

"I'm fine!" Makoto says placing the towel on his dripping wet hair. He runs his fingers through his light coloured hair trying to brush out the knots from his hair. He smiles at you, his smile practically beaming with his eyes looking brighter than ever.

I loved Makoto.

I was always watching over him, making sure that he was alright. Yet, He would always reply with the same answer, "I'm fine." 

He grew up without his mother because she died when Makoto was 2, from cancer. Who would have thought that Makoto had gotten the same cancer as his mother? That summer he was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme, a tumor in the brain.

It was on a Saturday night, I remembered it so clearly. We were sitting on the couch watching a movie when all of a sudden Makoto's head started hurting, as he described. I thought it must have been a headache so i went to get medicine, but when i came back Makoto was on the floor with both of his hands on his head shaking. I called the Ambulance and he was immediately rushed to the emergency room. 

His dad rushed to the hospital as well, leaving work as soon as one of the nurses had called him. I knew for sure that this was more serious than i expected. Me and his dad had waited well over 4 hours, trying to avoid falling asleep.

Finally the nurse came out forming her hands in a fist shape while hesitatingly walking up to the both of us. She clears her throat before saying the words that i would never thought would break my heart so much.

"Tachibana Makoto, has got stage 2 cancer, more well known as glioblastoma multiforme. Doctors have done some x-rays, and it seems that the cancer is slowly spreading. It seems as this is a common case, and can usually be removed. But for Makoto, he has left it too late. We don't know if we are able to fully remove the cancer, But we will try our best. Makoto is sleeping right now, if you would like to see him then please do so before visiting hours are done." 

Tears start streaming down my face as i fall to the ground. Had it really come down to this? Why Makoto...Why was it him? 

I knew his dad was sobbing, very small wimps of cries came out. It was painful for the both of us to find out the person you loved had been diagnosed with cancer. I kept my hope strong for Makoto though, i wanted to give him as much hope that he will win against the cancer...

The doors open revealing another nurse holding a clipboard in her hand. She looks at the both of us with a very sad look in her eyes. 

"Sir....Ma'am, You can go inside now."

The both of us look up, I wipe my tears and get off the floor and take a quick glance at Makoto's father before entering to see Makoto on the bed. They were monitoring his breathing, his heart rate, and any movements caused in the hands and brain. He was peacefully asleep with his eyes closed and his now pale skin making him look sickly. 

I couldn't help more tears fall out, I let my thoughts take over me, thinking of all the terrible things that could happen to Makoto. I didn't want to lose him, my childhood friend and my lover. But I was hopeless.

I grabbed his hand as drops fell onto the tips of your fingers. His father stood behind me, taking a sight of his young son, looking so fragile and cold as if he was already dead.