Chapter 16

“Wait…what?! I thought Callie didn’t feel the same way back,” Stef exclaimed looking between the two of them, noticing the angry face Callie had shot at Brandon.

                “Mom, what are you talk- wait. How did you know I was in love with her?!” His voice rose and his cheeks flushed red with fury.

                “I read Callie’s journal,” she replied, placing her hands on her hips as she stared him up and down. Brandon was flabbergasted and backed away, his body standing covering half of Callie’s body protectively as if Stef had just punched her in the gut. “Brandon, please don’t leave again..”

                “Why did you read my journal?” Callie whispered in a more fearful tone than an angry one. Lena looked at Stef as if to say ‘I told you so.’

                “I’m worried about Brandon and I just couldn’t resist when I saw you writing in it. I-I’m really sorry Callie.” She was ashamed of her actions and hung her head low. Brandon sighed, turning to look at Callie who was staring at Stef with a sad look on her face.

                “It’s okay Stef,” she whispered, her voice barely audible. Stef looked up, shock in her eyes.

                “Thank you,” she replied, holding her arms out to hug Callie. Brandon went to cover the rest of Callie’s body, but moved away instead and watched as they hugged tightly. When they pulled away, she turned to face Brandon. “So, I’m just going to tell you that me and Lena cannot allow a relationship.” His breathing faltered and he looked down almost embarrassed. “But, the foster system never said anything about being in love. You just, you’ve got to be careful. This isn’t something you should be messing around with.”

                “I agree,” Lena replied, standing besides Stef. Brandon didn’t know what to make of this so he thought for a moment, Callie’s face beautiful yet still emotionless as she watched Brandon.

                “Just…not now.” Stef finally whispered, Brandon nodding as he headed up the stairs, frustrated yet somehow happy.  Callie watched behind him, and looked at Stef and Lena before she followed behind Brandon.

                He knew she would follow, and turned his head grinning when he heard her footsteps on the wooden steps. “Don’t look at me like that,” she snapped, anger hardening her features.

                “Why are you mad at me?” he asked, stopping on the stairs so Callie couldn’t move any further.

                “Do you not remember what happened on the beach?” she spat angrily. “I hate trusting you. I really do. I’m always terrified you’re going to break my trust, and you did, but I just can’t stop trusting you.” Tears streamed down her face, her hands reaching up to cover her eyes. Brandon could hear his moms listening so he grabbed Callie’s arm and dragged her up the rest of the stairs and into his room, slamming the door as soon as they were inside.

                “Get off me!” she cried, pulling her arm out of his hold. Brandon looked at her as she held her arms against her chest to protect herself.

                “Callie stop it you know I’ll never break your trust!”

                “You did though!” she sobbed, Brandon pressing her body up against the wall as he placed his hands on either side of her. “You did,” she weakly whispered in between gasps of air.

                “Listen to me Callie, we love each other. Everything seems complicated now but it will fall into place. I know you’ve been hurt before, more than someone your age should, but I won’t ever purposely hurt you in anyway. Do you understand me?” She bit her lip and then nodded. Brandon let out a sigh of relief and then pulled her into his chest, wrapping his arms around her tightly. She stiffened at first, but then relaxed.

                “Hey Brandon,” she whispered.

                “Yes?” he said with his lips pressed against her hair.

                “Don’t let go.”

                “I won’t babe, I won’t.”

                She crawled into Brandon’s bed that night, and curled up against his side. She fell asleep long before he did, allowing to Brandon to watch her as she slept. Her breathing was uneven but she slept more relaxed than he’d ever seen. Cuddling closer Brandon couldn’t help but remember a line from his favorite book.

                “Under love’s heavy burden, do I sink” – Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet.

                He smiled at the thought of how similar Romeo and Juliet had been to him and Callie. Forbidden love, yet he got a happy ending and they didn’t. He never was into religion, but for the first time he thanked God for bringing him Callie and shut his light before placing a kiss on the top of Callie’s head.

                “Goodnight my love.”

THE END.

There might be an epilogue but not sure yet. No sequels planned, but who knows. I could change my mind. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I’ve officially finished my first fan fiction! YAY!

Comment and vote a lot please, I’d really appreciate it.

I will post my new story as soon as I can! J