late june

"Wrong. Wrong. Wrong..." You sighed as you stared at the paper in front of you. The entire page was covered in red marks. Looking over at Haiba Lev, you felt your hopes of a quick tutoring session being dashed. He was too busy doodling something to even see that you had finished grading the practice worksheet you had made for him.

Kuroo Tetsurou had asked you for a favor and in return he would take you out to your favorite place to eat. He knew you had expensive taste, but he still offered this bargain which meant he was desperate. You were a second year and very smart. Though you were not number one in your class, you were still known for your brain. You had met Kuroo during your first year when you had visited your cousin during volleyball practice, who was the manager for the volleyball team. 

You had found Kuroo to be lazy when it came to certain things. Of course whenever he was in a game, you knew he was scheming something under those friendly smiles. He also enjoyed trying to provoke you, but you usually maintained a cool head. Still, you two somehow formed an odd friendship. You two acted much like brother and sister, much to the amusement of some members of the team.

When he had asked you to tutor a first year on their team, you had assumed it would be easy. You had tutored other people before and they learned fast enough. Then again, those people usually knew a least a bit about what they needed to be tutored in. Lev, on the other hand, had no idea what was going on in his math class. The marked up worksheet told you that much.

"Haiba-san..." You turned your attention to him. 

Looking up from his doodling, he smiled widely. "How'd I do, [First name]-chan?"

Pinching the bridge of your nose, you gave a frustrated sigh. "Please don't talk to me so familiarly, Haiba-san. You failed every single problem on the worksheet. What have you been doing in class that you can't even find a simple derivative?"

"I take down everything the teacher writes on the board," he said.

"Can I see your notes?" You waited as he rifled through his bag and pulled out his notebook.

Handing it to you, you flipped through it. Every single page was filled with chicken scratch. You felt more and more hopeless as you tried to read what he wrote. By the time you finished flipping through it, you felt as if there was a heavy weight on your shoulders. Now you knew why the first year was close to failing the class.

"Haiba-san...your notes are crap," you said bluntly. You weren't one to beat around the bush when it came to academics. "With your current knowledge, you can kiss goodbye to the Interhigh preliminaries and being on the team in general."

"Eh!? I can't miss the preliminaries! I'm the ace!" He looked genuinely surprised at your statement.

Raising an eyebrow, you fully looked at the first year. "How can you be Nekoma's ace when you can't even hit the ball? Taketora-san kept telling me how much you suck."

"The ace is the one who makes the most points. I'll be making so many points you won't believe it," he said with an air of pride.

Covering your face with your hands, you grumbled, "You won't be making any points if you don't bring up your points in math, Haiba-san. We need to meet after school almost every day if I'm to get your grades up. Here, I'll give you my number and let you know what days work for you and I to have our tutoring session."

Writing your number on a slip of paper, you stood up and started gathering your things. "We'll have to have these sessions after volleyball practice because I'm sure the coach wants you to improve somewhat. I guess we can study at my house..."

The first year already had all his things. He towered over you. "Thanks for your help, [First name]-chan!"

Throwing him a dirty look, you zipped up your bag. "It's [Last name] to you Haiba-san. I hardly know you, so please don't call me by my first name. Also, make sure you practice over the break because by September I expect you to know more than you do now."

He gave you a salute even though you had already turned to walk out of the library. You were planning out all the lessons you would have to reteach him. Also, you hoped you could find your old notes from last year to give him since his own were useless.