Saying Goodbye

"Your trying out for the solo and duet right?"

I slammed my locker shut with a jolt. Why did he always do that?

"I guess" I sighed, starting to make my way to dance class. He was like a mosquito that wouldn't stop bothering you, pesky and annoying.

"Well you know me and you will be performing the duet together." He said.

"You don't know that" I replied, walking at a brisk pace.

"Why are you walking so fast tiny dancer?" He asked, catching up to my pace.

"One, that's not my name. Two, I'm trying to get away from you" I said rolling my eyes.

"Ouch" he laughed, grabbing his heart and faking hurt.

I continued on, almost bumping into Ryan.

"I'm sorry" I said smiling. He flashed me an Oscar winning smile.

"Hey Odette, can we talk?" He asked, flashing another smile and gesturing to move closer to the lockers.

"Yeah! What do you need?" I asked, getting nervous.

"I was..uh..wondering if you..uh..wanted to hang out some time? Maybe go to dinner or something?" He asked nervously, rubbing the back of his neck.

Did he seriously just ask me out? Ryan Reynolds just asked me out.

Jasper was hanging around the hallway, flirting up a storm with a Barbie doll. Ugh.

"Oh.umm..maybe next week or something? I'm..uhh...have important stuff to attend to this weekend.." I replied, not wanting to give away that my parents funeral was this weekend. I hung my head using my hair to cover part of my face.

I hadn't slept Wednesday night or last night for that matter. I'd been having nightmares about my parents the last two nights and woken up screaming and crying, scaring my aunt and uncle to death.

I had bags under my eyes, my hair was a mess. I couldn't bring myself to even smile.

Overall I looked and felt like shit.

I had been going through the motions these last two days. Waking up, going to school, dancing, coming home and going straight to my room, only coming down for dinner and then going right back to my room to lay on my bed or roof and stare into space.

It had been Tuesday night when the reality had hit me, my parents were gone and there's nothing that would bring them back.

My lip began quivering as I thought about them, making my eyes water a bit.

"Are you okay Odette? I didn't mean to upset you" he said hurriedly.

"Oh..um.no I'm fine" I said plastering on a smile. I curled my hair behind my ear and and looked down trying to blink back the tears threatening to spill over.

"I'd love to go on a date with you. Call me." I said, handing him a slip of paper with my number on it and briskly walked to dance class.

All I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and cry. I wanted to mourn and wail by myself until I couldn't utter another sound.

I knew my parents would've wanted me to be happy and accept everything that happened, which was the only thing keeping me from breaking down right in my spot, and the fact that I refused to show weakness in front of others.

I walked to the locker room and changed slowly, exchanging hellos to my classmates and walking back out. I stood near the back again, waiting on Mrs. Love to show up and start class.