The man chuckled thoughtfully, "yeah I suppose it is a bit strange at that. You might have an idea there though puppy. Course I've no way to let him know to expect me..."

"I could do it!" Caelen responded, excitedly bouncing on her godfather's lap. "I could pop in the fire this evening, check off and on if it's safe!"

"Oh no, nope, not gonna happen your dad would have my head!" Sirius replied shaking his head vigorously.

"Oh come on uncle Sirius! I've been in the common room gobs of times! It wouldn't be strange for me to miss Harry or the Weasleys or Hermione, if I get caught no one would ever know you were involved and I just play dumb!"

"No," the man whined in reply, "I'll do the checking."

"But if you get caught it would be just awful! Please uncle Sirius!" Caelen begged jutting her bottom lip out in an adorable pout. Sirius suddenly wished he hadn't taught her that. "Just think how sad daddy would be if you were put back in azkaban!" The pair shivered at the name.

"oh now that was a cheap shot!" Sirius declared poking the girl's belly. "But, you may be right. Ok you can be my lookout."

Caelen leapt into the air with a cheer, "yes!"

________________________

Later that evening Caelen began periodically sticking her head through the fire for short glimpses of he Gryffindor common room. Sirius was beginning to worry they'd miss the trip altogether when she finally popped back out with a wide grin. "Ok they're alone best hurry I think Harry saw me."

Without wasting a moment Sirius exchanged places with his goddaughter to flu his godson.

Caelen curled into the wingback chair Sirius had vacated and squirmed around, curious as to what was happening on the other end. Occasionally she'd catch a snippet of Sirius' side of the conversation. She couldn't quite keep the look of surprised exasperation off  her face upon hearing him offer to meet the teens in hogsmead. How exactly he thought he'd pull that off was beyond her, they'd only that morning read about their last escape in London.

She cringed in sympathy for her godbrother at Sirius' parting words, "not as much like James as I thought."

Sirius sat back next to his hearth with a scowl before glancing up to be met with a fiercer one mirrored on Caelen's face. "What's your problem?" He growled still frustrated from his conversation with Harry.

"That wasn't nice uncle Sirius," the girl scolded, "he's only worried about you."

"Yeah well seeing me, getting me out of this hell hole for an afternoon, would have been enough incentive for James. Damn the danger!" The man snapped in return.

It was a testament to how much the love and care she'd been showered with of late had changed her that she didn't flinch away at his harsh tone. Caelen's jaw jutted out defiantly, "not if you were all he had! I don't need to have known uncle James in person to know that! He wouldn't endanger you for a cheap thrill if he had no one left! I would think you of all people should understand how that feels and why Harry of all people would want you to stay safe!"

"Caelen I-"

"-no, don't bother! You're not clueless uncle Sirius and you're not stupid but you are, sometimes, too careless; at least with yourself. You'd never endanger those you care about, me, Harry, and daddy, yet you can't understand why we wouldn't want you in danger. What you don't understand is that we, any of us, would go to hell and back for you. Think about that next time you're hard on Harry for wanting you safe." With her rant completed the young girl stormed away to bed slamming the door as she went.