Chapter 16

© Copyright Nicole Nelson, 2011

Brandon's POV-

I was sitting in my truck waiting for Gracie after school, watching as she said her goodbyes to Paul while he hugged her and whispered something in her ear. That simple act bothered me more than it should have, pinching me in the chest every time I had the misfortune of seeing them together. I tore my eyes away from the rear view mirror I was looking through when they broke free from their embrace and she turned around to face my direction.

When she climbed inside, I started the truck and drove to her house. As usual, we didn’t talk but somehow this silence felt different. I hadn’t seen her happy all school year but today she seemed extra sulky.

Something was definitely up.

When we pulled in front of her house she grabbed her bag and began to get out in a hurry, knowing I had to get back to practice.

“Are you mad at me?” I asked.

Rather than answering she slammed the door and walked to her door.

I’ll take that as a yes.

When she made it safely inside, I drove off.

                                                                                    * * *

 After I worked off all my frustrations regarding Gracie during football practice I was in desperate need of a shower. I entered the locker room and swiped a scratchy white towel down my face as I heard two guys talking on the other side of the lockers. Immediately annoyed when I realized one of the voices belonged to Paul, I stopped in front of my locker ready to swing it open and dig out my clean clothes. I stopped dead in my tracks when I heard what, or rather who, they were talking about.

"Grace is hot though. You should just keep working on it."

"Yeah. But if it doesn't happen soon I have Amber waiting. Can't keep waiting around on one girl. Who does she think she is?"

They both begin to laugh.

"Grace is so naive, man. She believes everything you say."

"That's why I like the innocent girls like her. They haven't learned all the lines yet. Now if I could just get Brandon to mind his own damn business..." He trailed off into a suggestive silence.

Again, they both began to chuckle but this time their laughter was interupted by my locker slamming shut. I had heard enough of this. I rounded the corner and headed straight to where they were standing. Paul's eyes widened in shock for a second as he took in the knowledge that I had heard every word but they quickly turned to an angry glare as he noticed his friend's smug expression.

Gaining bravado to maintain his tough image to his friend, Paul took a step forward and we were standing only inches apart.

"Anything else you want to say?" I shouted, my voice echoing through the tiny locker room.

"Yeah. How about mind your own damn business? I guess you missed that part when you were eavesdropping." He retorted icily.

I grabbed his t-shirt and slammed him back into the lockers as his tough act melted away. His friend, who looked more amused than concerned, back several steps away from the altercation.

"Stay away from her." I hissed menacingly, ignoring his comment.

"You need to stay away. She wants to be with me, not you." He replied, his voice slightly shaky.