“Why wouldn’t they hear me?”

“Because you won’t even have the chance to shout,” he smirks disappearing from view.

Chase begins to turn, only to stop when a hand wraps around her mouth. Glancing down she realises that the blade is being held close to her neck.

“Now hand over the money and I might let you live,” he whispers.

'Great I haven’t been in Ireland more than a day and I’ve already been attacked by another magic user.’

“Are you going to hand over the money or not?” he demands, pressing the blade against her neck.

She bobs her head in response to his question, relaxing a little when the knife is removed.

"Good girl, now hurry up I don’t have all day,” he hisses.

She reaches slowly into her pocket and digs around for her wallet. While she retrieves the object she concentrates on the magic she has stored in the gems which are hidden by her jacket sleeves. She fights a smirk when she feels them begin to cool against her skin. After a few moments Chase feels the shadows slithering between her sleeves move up towards her collar bone. She directs another swarm down the back of her jacket and towards the ground. She fishes her wallet out of her pocket and brings it into his view. He relaxes his hold on the knife in his hand and pulls his hand away from her mouth reaching for the wallet. When he appears to be completely distracted the shadows wrap around his knife arm as she slams the back of her head against his nose. Pain explodes in the back of her head as she slips out of her captors hold. He growls and tries to slash at her as she slips away. He holds his bleeding nose with his free hand and glances at his frozen hand. She watches as his complexion pales slightly at the sight of the tendrils wrapped around his wrist.

"So you’re a necromancer huh? What are you doing out of your temple?”

“My temple? I haven’t been there for a while,” she mutters and then louder “it’s none of your business.”

“I was just curious, since I’m going to be delivering your corpse to the temple,” he smirks confidently.

“I think you are mistaken sir, if anything you are the one who will be the corpse at the end of this venture.”

Her would be attacker glances down and begins to panic when he realises that the shadows were holding him in place where he stood. The shadows imprisoning his arm spread across his chest and force both of his arms down to his sides.

“What are you going to do with me?”

In answer Chase steps forwards and imbeds her steel capped boot in his stomach. He groans and crumples forward. As he falls Chase brings her elbow down on the back of his neck sending him into unconsciousness. She continues down the alley leaving the shadows to dissipate behind her. Once she steps back out onto the street Chase hails a cab. She gives the driver the address to her apartment as she gets in. He nods and pulls out into the traffic. A short ride later the taxi pull up out in front of the apartment complex. Chase pays the driver and slides out of the car, slinging her bag on her back. She makes her way over to the garage, grinning when she finds her deep blue convertible waiting for her. She retrieves the spare key from the ash tray and continues towards her door. After traversing a flight of stairs she comes to her door. Chase pulls her apartment key out of her cargo shorts and unlocks the door. Once inside she makes her way to the bedroom and unpacks her clothes into the closet. With this done she picks her bag up and leaves the apartment. She jumps into her car and reverses out onto the street. After a few wrong turns she eventually makes it to the police station. Walking swiftly she makes her way inside, stopping in front of the counter.

“Can I help you ma’am?” a desk worker asks.

“Yes I was wondering if I could look at the case files for a recent stabbing.”

“Those files aren’t available for public eyes miss.”

"I am a private investigator hired by the victims’ family.”

“Let’s see your license and badge then.”

The necromancer sighs and pulls her wallet from her pocket. She pulls out a laminated white card and places it on the bench top.

“And the badge?”

Chase pulls open the top part of her jacket and flashes a golden, shield shaped badge pinned to the inner pocket. The desk clerk glances over both items and hands the card back to her.

“What files are you looking for Miss Glades?”

“The Harman stabbing files.”

“That’s an open and shut case.”

“Well then you’ll have no problem handing them over to me then.”

He nods and turns to the computer, she watches as his fingers slide easily over the keyboard. The man frowns and turns back to face her.

“I’m sorry to say Miss Glades, that those files have been frozen and are not open to anyone.”

“WHAT!”

"Please calm down,” the attendant sighs “the orders came from the top so it can’t be helped.”

“The top? Very well, thank you very much,” Chase nods walking out of the department building.

‘The top can only mean the sanctuary has something to do with this…great politics,’ she sighs internally.

She quickly makes her way back to her car and starts the engine.

“Why can’t anything ever be easy?” she mutters leaving the parking lot.

After doing some quick grocery shopping the young woman returns to her apartment.

***

“Thank you for the information, have a good day.”

The elderly gentleman sets his phone back down on the receiver and presses the intercom button on his desk.

“Get me Ryse.”

“Yes sir.”

After a few minutes of waiting a soft knock emanates from his office door.

"Come in.”

The door is opened and a man dressed in a dark grey uniform steps inside, closing the door behind him. The young man steps up to his desk and salutes “Winter Ryse reporting in.”

“I have a job for you, Ryse.”

“Shoot.”

“Someone is asking about the Harman incident.”

“You think it may be one of Grudge’s men?”

“Possibly, either way I want you to look into it.”

“Of course sir.”

“Report any and all findings to me.”

Winter nods and salutes once more before turning to leave.

“I want this dealt with as quietly and quickly as possible.”

“Of course head administrator.”

He watches the sorcerer leaves his office before returning to his paperwork.