Prologue

A/N: Pic of Ariel to the side!:)

~Ariel's POV

Humming softly, I stepped into the large-ish kitchen, probably my favourite room in the whole place. Today, since I didn't have work, I had decided I wanted to bake. 

I really enjoyed cooking. It was one of the few things I was good at, and it made me happy. 

Wait- Let me introduce myself. I'm Ariel May, 19 year old girl who lives alone in a small cabin in the forest. Yeah, I know what you're thinking- What is wrong with this chick? Well, nothing, really. I didn't mind being alone. I have been for four years, so I'd gotten used to it and it didn't bother me too much anymore.

I work as a waitress in The Blue Moon every week, Monday to Friday. But, today's Wednesday, and for some reason, the owner of the place told me specifically to go straight home and lock the doors. Whereas everyone else had to stay there and 'protect the restaurant. We don't want rogues in here.' 

Whatever that meant.

Anyways, I walked over to the pantry, opening the cedar door to reveal my plain white apron, hanging on the back of the door.

I slipped the material over my head, tying it tight in the back before grabbing a hair-elastic and throwing my light blond hair into a messy bun on the top of my head.

I looked around the kitchen, trying to find where I had put my radio yesterday.

Counter, no. Table, no. Cabinet, no. Floor, n- Wait! Yes! There it was. Why was it on the floor?

Brushing the question aside, I reached down, lifted it into my arms, and set it down on the dinner table.

I pressed play, listening as the music poured through the speakers and echoed throughout the house.

"Woof!" My head swiveled around to my left, a large grin overtaking my features as my great-dane Lucas bounded into the kitchen, heading straight for me.

I giggled loudly as he jumped up in front of me, standing on his back legs and now towering over me.

Lucas was quite a big dog, about a foot shorter than my 5'4" frame when on all fours. So when standing on his back legs, you could only imagine...

Landing back on all fours, he barked once more and started to lick my feet.

I barely had to reach down to pet his golden-blond fur, scratching behind his ears before turning and washing my hands, singing along to the music, and started to bake.

A half-hour later, I had just put the red-velvet and white chocolate chip cookies into the oven, softly singing along with the lyrics to Haven't Met You Yet by Michael Buble.

I sighed, looking around my kitchen and realized how messy it was from baking. So, of course, I went over and opened the front door, nudging Lucas awake as I went.

"Get up, Lucas. Go outside for a bit," I called, leaving the door open as  I grabbed the broom from the closet.

I started to sing again as I swept all of the dirt and crumbs from the kitchen out the front door and onto the porch, and then brushing it onto the ground.

After sweeping, I went back into the kitchen and started on the dishes, washing them all up and looking out the window over the sink while I did.

From the window, you could see my garden and flowers all planted sweetly outside, along with the edge of the forest lining my property and driveway.

My car was old, barely working and still chugging along, allowing me to get to-and-from work every morning and evening.

When I'd finally cleaned the entire kitchen, I looked at the timer and noted that I still had 10 minutes until my cookies were completely finished. So, I decided I'd go tend my garden and flowers. 

Stepping outside, I made my way over to my garden, bending down and inspecting the fruits and veggies I'd grown.

I smiled softly as I harvested the strawberries and beans, quickly carrying them inside before I dropped them.

On my way in, I passed a mirror and caught sight of my reflection.

My long, pale blond waves were still piled on the top of my head, little pieces falling down and framing my face. My bright green eyes stared right back at me, thick black lashes wrapped around my eyes.

My lips were a light pink, and my skin pale.

Sighing, I shook my head and continued my walk into the kitchen, placing the food into the sink and washing the freshly harvested fruits and vegetables.

When I'd finished, I placed them in small baskets and settled them into the fridge just as the sick smell of smoke hit my nose, snapping me out of my daydreams.

My eyes bulged and I gasped, whipping around to see that I'd completely forgotten about my cookies being in the oven. It'd taken way longer than 10 minutes to harvest, wash, and place them in containers. Mind that I'd cleaned the kitchen, too.

Black smoke puffed out of the oven, surrounding me in the confined space of my kitchen.

I gasped for air, dropping to my knees and shoving the door open, hoping to let some of the smoke out while I struggled to turn the stove off.

Reaching up with a shaky hand, I stabbed the 'Off' button, opening the door to the oven and grabbing a cloth.

I fanned the smoke out of the house, sighing contentedly once I could see more than gray.

Once I was sure it wouldn't burst into flames, I stumbled outside, tripping and falling to the fround, greedily breathing in the fresh air.

It was then that I heard a loud, vicious, and threatening growl.

A/N: Hey! So this is my new story. Thank you for reading, if you are. Please vote and comment!!!

Love you guys:*

-Paigey