Sweet Nothings (Bitter Sweet Sequel)

This is Book 2 of Bitter Sweet! So if you have not read Book 1 you might want to go check that out first! Thanks :)

Jodie

I rocked a sleepy Layani in my arms as she dozed off. She was still pretty small, and nearing one years old, but she was healthy. That's all I could have ever asked for.

I went into early labor, and sadly Shaun didn't make it in enough time to see the birth of his daughter. All this time we had thought we were having a boy, but to the our surprise she came out a girl. But as soon as she came out, the nurses took her away. She was so small, but she came crying up a storm. They kept my baby in ICU for 2 weeks because she had come so early and we had some complications with the birth, but to the doctors surprise she was extremely healthy.  Shaun arrived to the hospital shortly after I gave birth with Roxie tagging along. I wasn't mad though, I knew he tried his best to be there, for me  and our baby..

After Layani was born, everything changed.

It was like once I had her, I had to take everything into consideration. I wanted Shaun to be in her life, and I knew how it was with out both of my parents in my life and I didn't want that for her. After she was born it's like the connection with Shaun was there again, but on a whole nother level. We had made a little person, and she was the love of both of our lives. We were no longer together, but I felt connected to him in such a different way.

I ended up keeping my apartment back home until everything settled down with Shaun, and the whole basketball thing. He had gotten drafted to the Dallas Mavericks and was now residing in Texas. 

I decided that I would move to Texas eventually, but once he gets his shit together. He still had to buy a house and everything and he hadn't done that yet, but once he did the baby and I would be headed to Texas.

I didn't know where our relationship stood at the moment, but I felt as if everything was good but not relationship type good.. Shaun had made it clear that he wanted to be with me, but things have been pretty hectic since he's been gone for so long and I know he's moved on. I don't blame him, he's a knew athlete and I know he's got plenty of groupies or what not. I loved Shaun, but I knew just because we had a child together doesn't necessarily mean we have to be together.

I would like for things to be that way, but they're not and I've learned to accept it.

He absolutely adored Layani and came down every month to spend time with her. But those days he would stay it was like this fairytale that I knew wasn't going to stay long. When Shaun comes and stays over we occasionally shack up but I'm not trying to have another baby. Right about know things are pretty cordial between us, we've set aside our differences and are friends.

But my number one thing is not trying to be in a relationship with him, it's him being in his daughters life. I really want her to be able to have her dad there, but that's pretty difficult since we are in Florida, that's the reason I decided to move. Not for my own selfish reasons but for my daughter and I know Shaun could provide us with a better life out there.

I placed Layani in her baby blue crib and smiled. We were so stuck on the fact that she was a boy, but I think deep down I wanted a girl. I turned the room light out and walked into the kitchen to grab something to eat.

On the real, It was starting to get lonely, having an apartment on my own, and not really having many friends. Other than Stacey and my brother I didn't really have anyone. But Layani kept me company. 

I turned on some water, and decided to boil me a hot dog when my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me." Ahmad said through the phone.

"I was just thinking about your asian ass the other day, what's up?" I said into the phone. Ahmad would come through every now and again, and we maintained a cool friendship, but I hadn't seen him in a hot minute.

"Nothing much love, I had gotten a new number and lost all my contacts. I just left from Damiens house and he passed it on to me."

"Oh I was wondering why you hadn't hit me up in a while."

"Yeah, but  I'm headed your way. You think I could come see baby Lani?"

"Of course. I actually just put her down, but come on by."

After I hung up I straightened up the living room a little bit. It was a complete hot mess, dealing with Layani's ass. She was seriously a character and was stubborn just like Shaun. She was forever throwing stuff and since she was just learning to crawl I had to start buying baby gates. She was always snooping through something, and being just as nosey as ever.

Once my hot dog was finished, I got a roll and feasted.

I needed to cool down on the food though, because I could tell I was gaining a few pounds. I didn't lose all my little pregnancy weight, but my stomach went back to being flat and my figure was nice for the most part. My ass spread something serious, and it was cool for the most part but I didn't want my shit to get too big. Ain't nobody trying comptet with Nikki Minaj. 

I turned on the tv and started watching a rerun on Catfish, when the door bell rung. I sat up and went to go get the door.

"Ahmad!" I smiled and gave him a hug.

"Hey ma, how you been?" he gave me a small kiss on the cheek.

"Good, I guess. Enjoying being a mother." I let him and and we walked over to the couch.

"Gotdamn you got thick."

"I know I'm getting pudgy." I frowned and looked down at my thighs. "I need to go work out."

"Nah, you look good. But just don't go jogging. We all know how that went last time."

"Shut up." I laughed and rubbed my hands on my bare legs. "I haven't seen your ass in like three months."

"I know. I had been in Jersey visiting my pops for a while cause he's been pretty sick."

"Aw man, I'm sorry about your dad."

"It's all good Joe, he's getting better. But hows Layani?"

"Great, I just put her down for a nap. But knowing her she's going to be up any minute, whining."

"You talk to ole' dude?"

"Shaun? Yes and no, we talked like two or three days ago."

"You still thinking about moving to Texas?"

"I've decided that I am. I don't realy have any ties here except Damien and Stace. Plus, I'd be willing to move in order for Layani to have a relationship with him."

"I feel you, but you moving states. That's a huge deal."

"I know. But i'm sure it'll work out fine." I was hoping more than actually being for sure. I really did want things so go smoothly. 

~~~~~~~~

This is just a little dip into the sequel, there's lots more coming soon! I decided to go a whole new direction with theis story so bare with me!