The Unusual Lady

I looked up at the imposing fortress. It was actually a fairly beautiful building even though it was built more for defense than beauty. The castle was made out of a stone that shone gold in the sunlight. There were many of the small slit windows for archers to use inside of the castle to shoot arrows at enemy's. I liked it especially since the front left and right sides were mirror images of each other. I liked things that matched. What can I say.

"Stop gawking you stupid girl," my father sneered at me.

I immediately stopped looking at the building and demurely sat looking at my chestnut horses mane. I guess I should introduce myself. I am Lady Elizabeth Rose Winter. The second child and only daughter of Lord Ronald Winter and the late Lady Elanor Winter. I won't lie and say that I am tall and skinny with long blonde ringlets. I am fairly tall for a woman but my hair is an odd caramel color and is stick straight. So none of those curly hairstyles for me. I have green eyes and I'm not skinny but I'm not fat. I'd like to think that I have womanly curves. My breasts are too big though, and they are more trouble than what they are worth I will stop the complaints since there is nothing I can do about them. But overall I would say that I'm pretty. I'm not a Helen of Troy but I'm no hag either.

"I'm sorry father" I murmured.

"You had better not make a fool of me. You know the repercussions if you do. We need an alliance and soon. You had better act the part of the lady and not your usual odd self."

Tears stung my eyes as I answered "yes father" thinking about my last punishment. I had tried to pack my bow and arrows. When my father had found out he had flown into a rage and beat me soundly, screaming about how my mother would be so ashamed to have a daughter like me. My father was a big bear of a man. Tall and built like a warrior. With blonde hair and blue eyes he was quite the catch back in the day, i have heard that he still is. I unfortunately know his less than kind side. My elder brother Thomas had taken me under his wing at the early age of four, after our mother Lady Elanor had passed away, and taught me the un-ladylike art of fighting.

Father hadn't minded it until one of his friends told him that women were supposed to be soft and stupid creatures that had no minds of their own. After that the easy relationship I had with my father slowly disintegrated until it was where it is now. The last beating had been a few days ago and I had been moving gingerly as to not irritate the bruises that had formed.

While these thoughts had been going through my mind we had reached the castle doors. The whole fortress as well as the land all around within a days ride belonged to Baron Fairfax, the man we were here to see.

I noticed little details as my father and I, as well as our 50 men at arms as well as 10 knights rode into the courtyard. Things like the smithy seeming to be going at full steam. Three little children running around playing tag while what I'm assuming was their mother calling them to come back while she finished her shopping. The hustle and bustle of an open air market going on all around us. I also noticed a young boy stick his hand into someone's pocket and lift out a few coins. I hid my smirk as the boy ran away with his prize.

As we all dismounted (me waiting until one of the men could help me) a steward came out of the doors of the main keep. He was tall and thin and seemed to be in slight disarray. His hair looked as if it hadn't been combed and his tunic was buttoned incorrectly. But he seemed to be a cheerful sort of fellow and bowed to my father and then to me. "Welcome to the keep of Baron Fairfax. If you will follow me I will lead you to your chambers and allow you some time to freshen up before you meet with the Baron."

"And my men?" my father asked gruffly.

"The knights will stay in the keep but the men at arms will have to make due with the loft above the stables. We didn't realize you would be bringing so many men with you." The steward was obviously a little nonplussed with the whole situation.

I had tried to get my father to bring less men but to him it was a sign of wealth and prestige. After I had initially asked my father why so many men were needed he had started to get offended so I quickly dropped the subject.

We were led to our rooms by the steward who had finally introduced himself as Alexander. We were shown my fathers rooms first. Since he was a Lord and we were the only ones visiting the Baron we got the best rooms. My fathers rooms were decorated in greens and blues. There were rugs over the floors and tapestries of great battles adorning the walls. A fire was roaring in a large stone fireplace and above it and the mantle was a coat of arms with two broadswords crossed behind it.

The steward and I left my father to freshen himself and change before the meeting. Going down the hallway the next door lead into my rooms. They were lighter and airer than my fathers rooms. More feminine might be a better description. They also had green as one of the main colors. But the other color was purple. With white details. There were fresh flowers in vases around and a plush couch was near a larger windrow that was facing in toward the center of the keep. It was perfect for sewing and other lady like pursuits that I knew how to do but abhorred. My bed was piled high with pillows and I looked at it longingly. My whole body ached from the long ride as well as the bruises and a nap sounded like heaven. But I knew I had maybe a half an hour to refresh myself and join my father in his rooms before the meeting and then dinner. I instinctively knew that I wouldn't get to lay on my bed until the revelries were over in the wee hours of the morning.

Alexander had left while I had been looking around the room. I hurried to the wash basin and splashed my face with water. There was a light tapping on the door and a young maid entered after I called 'enter'. She bobbed me a curtsy and introduced herself as Christine. She asked if I needed any help. I asked her how much time I had until the meeting with the Baron.

"I forgot," she lightly smacked herself on the head with this declaration "The Baron had some matters to attend to and had moved the meeting and dinner back by an hour so you have an hour and a half to prepare"

I smiled at her and asked if a bath could be brought up in that time. We had been on the road for 3 days and I felt filthy.

"Certainly my Lady I will be back to help you out of your things after the bath is brought up and filled"

"Will you help me out of my gown before you leave. I would like to rest while the bath is assembled"

"Of course my lady. Silly me of not thinking of that before."

After I was out of my dress and after Christine had left I took my hidden knives out of my boot my garter my corset and the sleeve of my dress. My father would have been furious if he had known how armed I was. He only allowed me a small eating dagger on a belt around my waist. But if something had happened on the road I had wanted to be prepared.

I squealed and jumped onto the comfortable bed. I was so glad I had a little time to myself to think about why we were here. I was to be looked over in the meeting to see if I was worthy enough to be the bride to the baron or one of his two sons.

My father wanted an alliance with the Baron. Well actually he just wanted an alliance, he didn't really care who it was with. The Baron was his first choice because his lands bordered ours not to mention the power the baron had. The second choice was another lord. Lord Sithe, I had heard rumors that he was a power hungry lord that didn't care about anything but money and is own self importance.

As I continued to think about things I had almost fallen asleep when Christine knocked on my door. I groaned to myself since I was so close to getting some sleep.

I bathed quickly by myself so as not to scar poor Christine with the bruises all over my body. After my bath which was scented with vanilla and lilac I slipped on my chemise and stockings. Christine helped me with my corset and my best dress. It was my favorite. It was a gold and light green almost a chartreuse. Christine braided my hair in a complicated braid on the top of my head and then a long braid down my back. I told Christine that she could leave and that I would go to my fathers rooms shortly. I selected a small gold chain to adorn my neck. It had a small green stone on it that matched the dress perfectly. I also selected a few gold rings for my fingers. I slid the small belt around my waist with the jeweled eating dagger. I put all but two of my other knives away and slipped one into my boot and the other in the hidden pocket in my sleeve. I knew that if it was found out I was carrying weapons I would be severely punished. But the weight made me feel more secure and safe.

I finally felt ready to meet my father and proceed to the meeting with the baron. I stepped out of my rooms and traveled down the corridor to my fathers.