Chapter 32: Mrs. Morris

Start from the beginning

"We oughta go," Kamden says, looking up at the tall clock tower. She's right. We nod and continue walking, leaving the passed out woman lying in the middle of the street. Boy, did that punch feel good! I guess I've missed being able to hit whoever I wanted as a Newsie too.

"There ya are!" Jack exclaims when Kamden and I rush through the church doors. I nod and Jack just stares at us. "We didn't tell Crutchy, but Boots said he hadn't seen ya yet and we was worried."

"Ain't no reason takes be worried, Jacky Boy," I inform him smugly. "We's got it all under control."

"I know," Jack says, kissing the top of my head. Then, he does that same to Kamden. In my absence, Kamden became a temporary younger sister to him. Jack's even walking her down the isle. "Can I ask what took ya so long?"

"Ah, we, uh, ran into a small problem," I smugly tell Jack. Kamden snickers at my response.

"Well, I trust ya handled it well," Jack says slowly, eyeing the blood on my pants he just noticed. I smirk at him.

"I handled it better than well," I smile innocently. Jack looks at the blood one more time before sighing deeply and looks at me.

"Yeah, I betcha did," he says sarcastically. "I gotta go help Crutchy."

"And, I have ta help this lovely lady," I say, referring to Kamden. Jack chuckles and starts walking away, before turning around and adding.

"Oh, and your fiancé is lookin' for ya!" Jack yells, directed to me. I smile and the word 'fiancé'.

"Okay!"

Jack laughs heartily and heads down the hall before turning into another room where Crutchy must be getting ready. I smile as he walks off. I love my brother.

Kamden huffs and we turn into another room. I see something hanging by her changing station, covered in a brown paper bag. I beam. That must be her wedding dress. I see beautiful white heels under it and a few gaudy hair clips for her hair.

Kamden heads behind the changing area. She must be getting undressed, because her hangs her Newsie clothes over the side. She hollers for her dress which I hand to her from around the side. Then, I produce her white gloves and finally, her shoes.

Then, she emerges and we start the fire. She has asked me to curl her hair for the hair style she wants. I agree because while I was in college, I learned how to do it. Helen, my friend Daniel's girlfriend, taught me how. They had invited me to Thanksgiving dinner.

I hold the cylinder object in the fire for only a few seconds and then, I wrap a lock of her hair around it. I do this over and over, repeating the process. Then, I tuck my fingers under the sides of her hair, by her temples, and pin each side with one of the flashy clips. Then, I step back.

She looks gorgeous.

"Crutchy won't be able ta keep his eyes offa ya," I inform her. She hugs me tightly. You can tell how excited she is for her big day. Then, she pulls away and looks at me oddly. "What?"

"Ya look different," she informs me. She says studying. "Ya have a sorta...glow, I guess."

"A glow?"

"I dunno, it's probably jus 'cuz you's excited for your weddin' soon," she decides. We shrug and continue on. Then, the Pastor comes in to talk privately with Kamden. I step out of the room and run straight into Spot.

"Hiya," I say to Spot, who leans down and pecks my lips in response. He holds up my left hand to marvel at the beautiful engagement ring on my finger. He gingerly kisses my hand. "Why all the affection?"

"Ain't I allowed ta kiss me soon-ta-be wife?" he responds. I giggle and he holds my face in his hands. Suddenly, his brow creases as he looks at me.

"What?" I ask him with a slightly scared tone.

"I dunno. Call me crazy, butcha have a sorta glow," he muses.

"Hey, that's what Kamden said," I tell him. "Why does everybody keep sayin' that?"

"Maybe 'cuz it's true," Spot says. Then, he studies my again. "Ya feelin' okay?"

"Peachy," I respond sarcastically. Spot gives me look.

"Jus when I forget how stubborn you's are," he jokes, kissing my forehead. I smile and then, Race walks down the hall in his tux. He's going to be Crutchy's best man. He just stares at me for a moment.

"What kinda makeup ya usin'?" he asks. "It makes ya glow!"

"Shuddup," I tell him, turning on my heel and heading down the hallway. I run right into Crutchy. I don't even know it's him because his limp isn't even evident. "Sorry, Crutchy."

"S'okay," he says. "Have ya seen Kamden?"

"Yeah, I helped her get ready," I tell him. "Why do ya need 'er?"

"Wanted ta see how beautiful she is," Crutchy says, blushing slightly.

I laugh out loud and slap Crutchy on the shoulder playfully. "Now, Crutchy, ya know it's bad luck ta see a woman in 'er weddin' dress!"