Chapter Thirty Five

When I woke up, I was back in the caves alone in my room. Getting up, I push the covers off of me and slowly walk into the bathroom. Slipping out of my tunic, I stand in front of the mirror and examine the damage I have done from scratching it. At the time, I didn't really feel the pain, but now that I am no longer manic, my chest is throbbing with pain. Some of the scratches are so deep they drew blood. Taking a washcloth from the stand beside me and wetting it, I gently dab at the scratches, trying to clean them as best I can.

"Milady, use this salve. It will help with the pain and to make sure the wounds don't get infected," an older woman tells me. I did not hear her come in since I was too preoccupied with the pain in my chest. I go to take it from her but instead she takes the washcloth from me.

"Let me, dear. It is my job after all. I will be filling in for Miss Conny while she recovers. I am here to make sure that you have everything you need and are well taken care of," she says as she applies the salve to my wounds. I wince as the medicine starts to take effect in the larger cuts. Once finished, she puts the rest of the salve down on the table.

"Do you require anything else Milady?"

"Uh... no. I think I'm good. Thanks. For the salve, I mean," I stutter in reply. She merely smiles and nods and disappears without another word.

Figuring I best get ready, I wash my face and comb my fingers through my hair. Figuring I'm not going to be doing much, as usual, I settle for wearing a dark blue tunic and a new pair of leggings. I then pull on some comfortable boots and head towards the kitchen, hoping Nik can give me something to eat since I do not want to deal with the royal family this soon after getting up. Once reaching the kitchen, I can smell a variety of things that Nik and the others have been cooking and it makes my mouth start to water.

"Nik it smells wonderful in here! Could I trouble you for some breakfast?" I ask as I round the corner to Nik's work area only to be greeted by the sight of Sebastian pacing, dressed in his black full armor set. I groan inwardly. I am so not ready to deal with him or the rest of this family right now. I go to turn around and leave, but he catches sight of me.

"Fire! Wait!" he says.

"What, Sebastian? I'm not really in the mood."

"I just..." he says before he continues pacing. "I am leaving in an hour. I've been sent out on duty. There is a skirmish in one of the breakoff hoards several hours away. I've been sent to oversee the troops. I don't know when I'll be back."

Now that I look at him, I see that he is dressed in a general's uniform, not just a regular warrior's. I had never realized that he was a general. I assumed that he was a warrior considering that he was almost always wearing some sort of warrior's uniform. I guess he decided to become a general and make his way through the rankings instead taking a job that royalty normally does like advising the king.

"So is this goodbye or something?" I ask confused. He takes a deep breath before he stops pacing and comes to stand in front of me.

"There is a tradition among the soldiers for many centuries, which each soldier gives their token to someone before they leave, as a promise that they will come home. The staff is refusing to let me see Conny, she is normally who I give it to. And I know she would kill me if I gave it to her for yet another time. I was hoping that you would accept the token, seeing as how it is a tradition among the warriors." I nod and he turns his left forearm upwards, before doing something to unclasp the armor there and reveal a hidden compartment where a small engraved coin lies. He takes the coin out, rubbing his thumb over it before looking at me with his golden eyes.

"As is custom, the token of the warrior is given to the person of their choice, and that person then gives there's back in return. So that if the warrior was to die in battle, they would know who has his token and to whom they must tell the bad news."

"But I do not have a token."

"It is the pendant you wear on the necklace all the time," he says as he gently reaches forward with his other hand to pull the necklace out from its hiding place under my tunic. "May I?" he asks. I nod and he pulls the chain up over my head. He then unclasps the chain and takes off my token, replacing it with his own. He then puts the necklace back over my head, letting it rest on my chest. He then takes my token and puts it in the little compartment where his once was, before closing up the armor and letting his hands hang at his sides.

"I don't know when I'll be back, but don't do anything rash while I'm away. Your family and friends that we encountered in the woods are here as guests of the king. You may want to visit them this morning. I don't know how long he will allow them to be here after he figures out who they are."

"What do you mean 'who they are'?"

"The Gatekeeper and the Wolf. I do hope you don't think everyone is that stupid. You may not have noticed but, your friend Dalla, her eyes are orange. A tell tale sign for a gatekeeper. I'm pretty sure that's how they found you. And no human can cause the scratches on Conny. No full human at least, not even a mage could do that. So the Gatekeeper and the Wolf. Just like Aurora prophecy. The king will figure it out; it's just a matter about when. Please keep yourself safe. And don't do anything stupid, I won't be here to help get you out of it."

"Okay, okay. I got it. Chill. I'll be fine Seb. Just bring yourself back in one piece okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever," he says as he starts to walk away. He then stops a few steps away and looks over his shoulder, "And don't be too hard on my brother. Yesterday was my fault and he knows that. But if you need anything draw that glyph behind your ear again. It's one that you had on your first meeting with the dragons. If you don't fully remember it, Conny has a book full of glyphs for referencing when she draws them. The glyph will connect you with me. There may be some noise, but I'll hear you eventually. There aren't many female warriors in this group, so someone is bound to find a new voice odd and tell me if I don't hear you. Be safe," he said. And with that, he turned around and walked out of the kitchens, off to battle.