Chapter Seven

Riley Evans POV

I tried to focus on the paperwork in front of me, I really did. But no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get Ava out of my head. All I wanted to do was to just be in her presence, but after we had spent three hours talking in her room I had to return to my office, duty calls. I had thought about just dragging her with me, but I didn't want to be a tyrant... 

My train of thought was interrupted by a knock on the door. I perked up, hoping it was Ava, but tried not to show my disappointment when it was only Eli. I guess I didn't do very well because Eli chuckled and made a remark about it.

"Thought I was Ava huh?"

I felt my face heat up. "Shut up E!"

He just laughed and threw himself on the brown leather couch pushed up against one wall. He studied me for a moment before speaking.

"Have you thought about what you're going to do yet Ri?"

I gave him a questioning look, raising my eyebrow slightly. 

"You know she's not going to abandon her pack."

My mouth formed a little 'o'. I nodded, of course I knew that, and I didn't expect her to either. I just wasn't sure yet how we were going to work this out. Mates and long-distance didn't exactly work.

"Yeah I know E. We'll figure it out. But for now we are going to keep this between us, I don't want the other Alpha's to have any more reason to go after Ava. We'll tell the pack after the party."

Eli snorted. "I'm not saying that's not a good idea, but boy will that be fun to watch."

I scoffed and threw a crumpled up piece of paper at his head. He just laughed at me. I laughed with him, but inside I knew he was right on some level. It was going to be extremely difficult to keep my wolf in check with Ava unmated in a room full of males, not to mention keep my own hands off her.

~~~

My eyes drifted once again to Ava, who was sitting four chairs down to my right, Faith on one side, and one of the Luna's from a visiting pack on the other. She was chatting with the Luna, smiling and laughing every once and a while, her eyes glancing to me every now and then. She didn't think I noticed, but I did. I watched her tuck a piece of hair behind her ear, and her eyes flickered to me, locking onto my own eyes. Her green orbs widened and she looked a way, her cheeks turning pink. I smirked at her reaction and turned my attention back to the conversation Eli and I were having with our neighboring packs Alpha, Josh Kyders. He was practically a father to me, and his son Caleb was like a second brother. Speak of the devil.

"Caleb, nice of you to finally join us son." Josh gave his son a dry look to which Caleb only rolled his eyes at. He turned to me with a bright smile.

"Riles."

"Cales." He chuckled and pulled me in for a hug, and I could practically feel Ava's eyes burning holes in his back when he touched me. I chuckled quietly at her jealousy and turned my attention back to my friend. He pulled up a chair next to us and plucked a roll of my plate. I glared at my him for stealing my food to which he simply stuck his tongue out and continued eating my roll.

"So, dad, have you told Riles about your Jennifer yet?"

My ears perked up and my eyes honed in on Josh. His mate died six years ago in a rogue attack, the same one my mother and father died in, so whoever this Jennifer is she must be special for him to be choosing another mate.

I grin spread onto Josh's face. "I met my second chance mate." He said quietly, as if he still couldn't quite believe it. My heart soared for Josh, if anyone deserved a second chance mate it was him. He was the greatest man I knew, and an amazing Alpha. I listened intently as he talked all about her. You could see how much he already adored her. 

"She has a daughter too, Adeline, she's about Caleb's age--" My attention was stolen as I heard an Alpha growl at my mate.

"Don't talk to my mate slut!" 

In an instant I was out of my chair and had grabbed Ava and pushed her behind me, a feral growl erupting in my throat. The Alpha who had growled at her stopped and stepped back, shock falling over his features, and then understanding. The whole room had fallen quiet, everyone wondering what was going on.

My voice was low and dangerous, and I'm sure my eyes were glowing as my wolf had taken over. "Alpha Mitchells, I would appreciate it very much if you would refrain from calling my mate a slut."

I swear you could have heard a pin drop in that room.

And then,

All hell broke loose.

Ava Sontiya POV

I was barely processing as the room went from deadly silent to complete chaos. Alphas were standing and yelling, at her, at each other, at no one in particular. Riley's pack members were standing on chairs trying to calm people down, but were only making things escalate. People wanted to know how this was happening, some were yelling about disgrace and wrongness, while others yelled at them for being rude and unaccepting. I focused on my mate in front of me who was struggling to keep her wolf in control and I knew what I needed to do. I mind-linked Faith to get out of here for her own safety before grabbing Riley's arm and pulling her from the room. I guided her up the stairs and down several hallways before she seemed to snap out of it, and instead of me leading her, she started leading me. We got to my hallway but she opened the door across from mine instead. I realized with a start that this was her room and instantly the nerves hit me. She slammed the door behind us and grabbed my arm, pulling me to her bed. She launched herself on the bed and grabbed my waist, pulling me into her lap and nuzzling her face into my neck. I didn't know what to do, so I just sat there and let her hold me.

Finally after several minutes she spoke into my neck.

"I'm sorry." My eyebrows furrowed, what was she talking about?

"What?" Her face peeked out of my shoulder and she let out a heavy sigh.

"Now everyone know. I'm so sorry Ava, my wolf was in control and I--"

I cut her off. "Stop it. This was not your fault." She opened her mouth like she was about to protest, so I cut her off again.

My lips slammed against hers and she replied hungrily as I moved to straddle her. Her tongue slipped into my mouth and fought with mine for dominance, which she won eventually. My body was taking over when I pushed her down on the bed, but she was having none of that and quickly flipped me over, hovering over me. Her lips trailed down my neck, finding my sweet spot and sucking on it, her tongue flickering over the sensitive skin. My hands made my way under her shirt as I gripped her sides, my legs tangling with hers. She removed her mouth from my skin to rip of her shirt, and then proceeded to take mine off too. Her lips attached to my skin again, making their way lower as she kissed my shoulder and the top of my cleavage. Her mouth met mine again, kissing me furiously. I felt her hips rock into mine once slowly, and a strangled moan came from my throat. She broke away suddenly breathing heavily and resting her face in my neck. 

"I'm sorry love. I won't be able to stop if we keep going."

I nodded at her trying to get my breathing under control.

"It's fine." I managed to say finally. My skin was on fire and my heart was going at least a thousand miles per minute. Holy shit I'd never felt so much pleasure in my life. Our heated make out session had started me thinking about what it would be like when we actually mated.

She chuckled as if she knew what I was thinking. She got up from on top of me and walked into the closet emerging in her panties and an over sized t-shirt, and carrying another one. I let her take of my shorts and gently pull the shirt over my head. I inhaled her scent that I was engulfed in and cuddle into her side. Her arms wrapped around me and she pulled the covers over us. 

My mind drifted as I lay in my mates arms, who was tracing invisible patterns on my thigh.

The last thing I thought before falling asleep, was how thankful I was to the moon goddess for this beautiful guardian angel she had sent to watch over me.